Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet? >

Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet?

Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Yes, every year we go to our cabin in the woods, no indoor plumbing, except for a double sink to wash dishes in. I take a big turkey and BIL use to smoke a turkey, he died in April so, 1 Son in law will do it this year in his honor. I make mashed white potatoes, dressing, and turkey gravy, brown n serve rolls and frozen corn, DD is my assistant and always helps me. Desserts we make at home on Wednesday and take with us. She makes from scratch 2 big carrot cakes, and 2 big cheesecakes and I make about 7 or 8 from scratch Pumpkin pies, apple pie and cherry pie. We have tons of leftovers and eat desserts for breakfast Friday morning and have egg,bacon and cheese bagel sandwiches.
My saying is " The important ones we be there". I've said for years.
With 4 deer hunters someone makes something with fresh deer meat as an appetizer and we have a veggie tray.
We have lots of leftovers because everyone but me is dieting. I don't think a day off hurts anyone. Only time of year I eat turkey.
Anyone that wants to come does. I started this when our three kids still lived at home, about 1979 or so and we just keep doing it. Sister in law, DD and DSIL do dishes and I insist on using real plates, paper plates are not allowed. Everyone loves my cooking, except SIL, she is a vegetarian, doesn't eat turkey, I make her a dish of dressing with no turkey or italian sausage.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 PM

We will have 2 sons and wives here. Don't know about DD. One son lives about 30 minutes away, the other in D.C. We'll have the traditional turkey and all the trimmings with lots of help from DDILs. No grandchildren involved. They are all married and living too far away. We will have fun with our new cat (they both have cats at home). And we will miss those who are not with us, be thankful for our many blessings, and pray for peace so our service men can come home...DS is in the Navy and at the Pentagon.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM

My 30 year old daughter is having her first Thanksgiving for her boyfriend, my hubby and myself. Yah!!! We use to have many friends over but they either moved away or like my very best friend, they died.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

I go "home" to Ohio for Thanksgiving and stay here for Christmas. Hopefully my boys will both make it this year again. Last year I had the flu for 10 days and slept right through Christmas. My daughter said it was the worst Christmas ever. The boys said it was weird without mom!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM

First time in 13 years my Dh will be home for Thanksgiving(he is giving up over the road driving YIPEE) and we just bought our first home in July so we are having Thanksgiving and Christmas here.I plan on 13 for Thanksgiving and only DH sister and her husband(maybe) but Dh Sister willbe here. So maybe just three for Christmas oops I forgot my mom lives here now too. So four For Christmas maybe five.

Meals already planned out.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's all about the people and being thankful for the love. We make a "Thankful Tree" (drawn on paper and hung on the wall), and throughout the day, family and friends fill out pre-cut leaves with notes of what they are thankful for. These are read during dinner. I always cook Thanksgiving. Sometimes at our house, sometimes in NC at our daughter's. I make 3-hour turkey (just posted it today in the recipe section), stuffed with a dressing dating back to at least my great grandmother. Mashed potatoes, gravy, creamed corn, rutabagas, and shrimp salad. It is the menu my grandmother grew up with. lol... It's so traditional that any variance sends my family into moans of, "What happened to the tradition???" hahaha... It's quite fun. I bake two pumpkin pies, and one mincemeat. In recent years have added Pecan Pie, to spoil my southern son-in-law.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM

My brother from Texas is coming for Thanksgiving, and he has never met my family. Some of you know the story about how my brothers found me 10 years ago. I have been to Texas a few times, but have not seen any of them in 4 years. I am so excited for him to be coming, and he will be here exactly four weeks from today. I have alreay started pulling our the Christmas stuff so everything will be ready for him. We are celebrating both holidays while he is here. Will be having a houseful for the holiday and cannot wait!!! Am also making Christmas presents for him to take back to his family. Oh dear.....I am so excited!!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 AM

Both our families are distances away, and with DH in Chemo andd Radiation. We will be staying home, but we are already Thankful that we have that option
Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Not certain what me & my family is doing yet. My DH will more than likely be gone on a job (Oilfield) so I will probably cook for any of the kids that want to come eat. If it were up to me, I would rather take them to a buffet somewhere, but they are so adamently against that. Since they just come & eat & leave, I personally don't see why they would object to "where" they do this. LOL Oh well. I am always so tired & in pain by the time they all leave & I get my house back in order.
Ummmm, do they contribute to the meal? If they don't, make sure you ask them to! If they only come to eat and leave, why should you be miserable and in pain when they leave? Do they help clean up after the meal--clean off the table and do the dishes? If not, tell them you'll make dinner if they clean up!Remember too, that getting your house back in order can be done another day--believe me, unfortunately, it will still be there! LOL Sounds to me like you're being asked to be a slave to children who don't take care of their mother, nor appreciate the effort. And why can't one of them make dinner with YOU as a guest? Tradition is great, but not at the expense of your health.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's all about the people and being thankful for the love. We make a "Thankful Tree" (drawn on paper and hung on the wall), and throughout the day, family and friends fill out pre-cut leaves with notes of what they are thankful for. These are read during dinner. I always cook Thanksgiving. Sometimes at our house, sometimes in NC at our daughter's. I make 3-hour turkey (just posted it today in the recipe section), stuffed with a dressing dating back to at least my great grandmother. Mashed potatoes, gravy, creamed corn, rutabagas, and shrimp salad. It is the menu my grandmother grew up with. lol... It's so traditional that any variance sends my family into moans of, "What happened to the tradition???" hahaha... It's quite fun. I bake two pumpkin pies, and one mincemeat. In recent years have added Pecan Pie, to spoil my southern son-in-law.
Oh I love the Thankful Tree idea! What an awesome tradition to make! It gets everybody thinking about the beauty in their lives instead of whining their woes. What a gift to give a child. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to borrow the idea.