Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet? >

Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet?

Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mimito2
For 10 years I "arranged" all my holiday dinners around my sons schedules with friends and in laws. They either did not show up on time or did not show up at all, no phone call. Food for 12 bought, cooked and stuffed back into the fridge. Year before last they showed up on Christmas with car loads of friends in tow (no notice) for "dessert", they stayed for less than 30 minutes and left a mess of half eaten plates and drinks all over the living room, dining room and kitchen. 8 homemade pies wasted. I ended up exhausted with a headache. Last year I said NOTHING. The weekend before Thanksgiving both sons, DIL and xDIL asked what time lunch was. My evil twin came out.(Imagine the parking lot scene from Fried Green Tomatoes) lol, I politely explained that I had planned my meals for years around their schedules and they were rude & did not respect me enough to call that they were going to be late or not coming. Therefore I had decided that this year your Father and I are going out for lunch. You are welcome to join us if you are willing to pay for your own meal and be responsible for your children... They were dumbfounded..... Hubby and I had a very nice time and left the waitress a rose & a large tip. At Christmas DS came to my house to open presents and made plans with friends for dinner.
This year I am thinking that I want to Give Back and serve at the homeless shelter at Thanksgiving. No plans yet for Christmas.:)
Good For You, they didn't deserve all the labor and love you put into the food and hospitality you offered them and their friends. Enjoy your Holidays whichever way you Want.
May in Jersey
Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM

We used to alternate who had Thanksgiving dinner, but it seems that I end up with it more and more. That's fine with me, I do most of the cooking anyway! Our family isn't perfect, my husband hasn't seen his sister and her family for about five years and they live less than two hours away from us...long story that I won't go into here. So it's just me, hubby and his mom (his dad passed away 12 years ago)...but we have been inviting friends to join us.
As for the meal itself we have turkey, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, candied sweet potatoes, skillet corn and cranberry slush punch...yummy!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I spend Christmas home alone, so at Thanksiving I go to my sister's house.
If you lived closer you could have spent Christmas with me. It is just me and my 2 children there is no family and I have no friends since moving to Ohio.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 PM

When we first got married my husband would have me start inviting his family in August for Thanksgiving, that way he knew I would be doing most of the cooking. He couldn't stand the way anyone else in the family cooked, and didn't want his holiday dinner ruined.!! LOL.. He knew it was a lot of work for me, but after dinner, he always made sure he was in charge of cleanup and had everyone else pitch in so I could sit and visit. Gotta luv him!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twistedsheets
I guess this year it will be just me since mom passed this year. And hubby is on road. I guess mine will be a restaurant or fast food!
The same things goes for you that I wrote above only Thanksgivng instead of Christmas you could have had it with me.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
The sad news is that many of us will not have the Norman Rockwell /Hallmark greeting card perfect Thanksgiving. To those of you who will, how wonderful! For the rest us, treat yourself to something you enjoy, if nothing else.
You are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Probably going out for dinner...cooked for 50+ years so enjoy being served..

.....BUT......

still cook a turkey breast, stuffing and a pumpkin pie........

what would Friday be without a turkey/stuffing/cranberry sauce sandwich?

mj
You had thanksgiving the other day minus the cranberry sauce.

;) ;)
Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

I forgot, I have to have cranberry sauce, can't eat turkey without it.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I forgot, I have to have cranberry sauce, can't eat turkey without it.
My DH can't eat turkey without slices of that canned cranberry sauce covering it, somehow he thinks the turkey is the conidment not the cranberry sauce, LOL! May in Jersey
Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Right On Mimito2!!! I've always thought about serving at a homeless shelter also.

We are going to a nice restaurant with long time friends but I always cook a small turkey, dressing, cranberry/cherry salad and of course pumpkin pie for Friday and rest of the weekend. I agree, what would we do without a good ole turkey sandwich..............