Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet? >

Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet?

Are you making plans for Thanksgiving yet?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Bought cranberries. Does that count? I know it will be at my house and 15 to 17 people or more and I will be cooking. Maybe I should be making plans or at least shop?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mcar
We have always had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. But now I just dread the day. I really can't cook a splendid dinner. My husband is a diabetic and eats very little, I have microscopic colitis and can eat turkey and steamed veggies, can't eat stuffing and mashed potatos, pie, cake or cookies, and my daughter is a vegetarian.It will be a individual needs preparation. I think quilting dreams give me happy thoughts and hours that replace the delight of Thanksgiving.
You just have to make the food that you CAN eat in a splendid new way! Use a different seasoning or prepare them in such a way that they taste new or festive to you. You can do that without sending hubby into a diabetic coma--moderation is key top everything we do in life. Same thing goes for colitis--you can splurge for ONE day of the year, just a bit. There are tons of recipes on the internet that should fit your needs. Dress up the table and you're all set! You may have to think about Thanksgiving in a new light, but that's not always a bad thing. Enjoy the company and don't put as much emphasis on the food end of things. Don't lose sight about what the holiday is about.....
Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Bought cranberries. Does that count? I know it will be at my house and 15 to 17 people or more and I will be cooking. Maybe I should be making plans or at least shop?
Nah, you have a month yet! LOL
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

LOL I have been blissfully ignoring the fact Novemember is around the corner. Besides that there are three more birthdays and Halloween inbetween. I am too busy quilting and visiting this site. LOL
Old 10-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
The sad news is that many of us will not have the Norman Rockwell /Hallmark greeting card perfect Thanksgiving. To those of you who will, how wonderful! For the rest us, treat yourself to something you enjoy, if nothing else.
Ditto. Hoping and praying for a wonderful Thanksgiving no matter what your circumstances.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by doxieloverred
Originally Posted by mcar
We have always had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. But now I just dread the day. I really can't cook a splendid dinner. My husband is a diabetic and eats very little, I have microscopic colitis and can eat turkey and steamed veggies, can't eat stuffing and mashed potatos, pie, cake or cookies, and my daughter is a vegetarian.It will be a individual needs preparation. I think quilting dreams give me happy thoughts and hours that replace the delight of Thanksgiving.
You just have to make the food that you CAN eat in a splendid new way! Use a different seasoning or prepare them in such a way that they taste new or festive to you. You can do that without sending hubby into a diabetic coma--moderation is key top everything we do in life. Same thing goes for colitis--you can splurge for ONE day of the year, just a bit. There are tons of recipes on the internet that should fit your needs. Dress up the table and you're all set! You may have to think about Thanksgiving in a new light, but that's not always a bad thing. Enjoy the company and don't put as much emphasis on the food end of things. Don't lose sight about what the holiday is about.....
Just some ideas for you.Hope you don't mind.My DH and I are diabetic.We have turkey and dressing made with 100%whole grain whole wheat bread, we have sweet potatoes with Sugar free syrup on them and I make a sweet potatoe pie without the crust. It is very good and tastes like pumpkin pie(honest!)(or you could make a crustless custard pie) We usually have green beans, and apple salad made with apples, bananas, walnuts & grapes.Then we put SF Cool whip in it and blend it all together and it is yummo!Or we use SF pudding and make it then add the cool whip makes a delicious fluffy desert.(Mousse)
Your vegetarian daughter could eat everything but the turkey.
Hope this spurs some ideas for a very bessed Thanksgiving luncheon or dinner :thumbup:

I just remembered I make a nut crust sometimes too.Then put SF jello 1/4c hot water in the jello then add 8oz of cool whip and blend then pour that into the cooled nut crust. put in fridge and let set.It is is delicious.( I always get asked for the recipe when we have company)If you want the nut crust recipe PM me. :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2010, 01:44 PM

normally it is me cooking and as many that can make it home, do. I love to cook for them. (And I clean up since we use all the crystal and I don't want it broken)

this year- I really want to visit my dd and sil and gs in Las Vegas. Haven't seen them since May and not sure when we will again. I wanted to go for New years but they are going to his parents for Christmas (don't get me started- I wanted them here- snooty little MIL bought the tickets and then told them what she did- swear it was because I wanted them here). I would like to go by myself but hubby is giving me the guilt trip. I think they would be fine without me- someone would make sure he and ds would be invited someplace. But....

I don't know what to do- I really miss my dd and gs.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:52 PM

While I go to dinner at my sister-in-laws, I still cook a complete dinner at home. I like me cooking and there are somethings I like she never has. She does not want us to bring other things.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:41 PM

For 10 years I "arranged" all my holiday dinners around my sons schedules with friends and in laws. They either did not show up on time or did not show up at all, no phone call. Food for 12 bought, cooked and stuffed back into the fridge. Year before last they showed up on Christmas with car loads of friends in tow (no notice) for "dessert", they stayed for less than 30 minutes and left a mess of half eaten plates and drinks all over the living room, dining room and kitchen. 8 homemade pies wasted. I ended up exhausted with a headache. Last year I said NOTHING. The weekend before Thanksgiving both sons, DIL and xDIL asked what time lunch was. My evil twin came out.(Imagine the parking lot scene from Fried Green Tomatoes) lol, I politely explained that I had planned my meals for years around their schedules and they were rude & did not respect me enough to call that they were going to be late or not coming. Therefore I had decided that this year your Father and I are going out for lunch. You are welcome to join us if you are willing to pay for your own meal and be responsible for your children... They were dumbfounded..... Hubby and I had a very nice time and left the waitress a rose & a large tip. At Christmas DS came to my house to open presents and made plans with friends for dinner.
This year I am thinking that I want to Give Back and serve at the homeless shelter at Thanksgiving. No plans yet for Christmas.:)
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Probably going out for dinner...cooked for 50+ years so enjoy being served..

.....BUT......

still cook a turkey breast, stuffing and a pumpkin pie........

what would Friday be without a turkey/stuffing/cranberry sauce sandwich?

mj