Are you older than dirt???

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM

I am older that dirt. LOL I learned to drive in my Granddaddy's Studebaker. It had push buttons. Elvis was popular but they wouldn't show him from the waist down because he wiggled his hips too much. I also remember buying a coke and candy bar for 10 cents. There are so many good memories it would take all day to list them.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 AM

We have a rotary dial phone in our basement that is still workable. I ask my grandson the other day to call his mom about something... and he picked up the receiver and looked at me and said how do you work this!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:33 AM

Oh d@%$ I;m older then kitchen dirt.Sandy
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm older than a lot of you and your dirt. I remember listening to the Lone Ranger in front of the RCA console radio with a small lighted tuner. Once, my brother (2.5 yrs older) had me crawling under the radio which was on legs, to try to see the Lone Ranger and Tonto in the back of the radio. HONESTLY! We heated with coal which generated steam. The coal was handy for marking hop scotch sqaures on the side walk. The copper hotwater eater was connected to a little stove of its own that was fired by coal. On cold winter mornings we gathered in front of the natural gas oven and warmed out underwear (union suits) in the oven. It took a while for Pop to build the fire up to generate enough steam to reach the radiators up stairs. When I was in high school I ironed with the sprinkler bottle and an electric iron with two settings, on and off. If you ironed something delicate you had to unplug the iron and let it cool. I'm 74 with an elephantine memory about the good old days but can't remember my closest friends' phone numbers nowadays. Thank goodness for speed dial.

My grandmother in Brooklyn had a coal stove which is the same as a wood stove. There was a bucket for the coal alongside. Those Thanksgiving dinners were glorious and the pullman apartment was toasty warm. The toilet was out in the hallway in a space the size of a modest closet.
The water for flushing was in a tank up by the ceiling and had a long chain and handle to pull to release the water. Good old gravity did the rest. In the summer they managed to have cold meals most of the time. Pop remenisced about turning over out houses as a kid in that same neighborhood.

Jane
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
Ratings at the bottom.

1.Candy cigarettes

2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes

3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles

4. Party lines on the telephone

5.Newsreels before the movie

6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])

7.Peashooters

8. Howdy Doody

9. 45 RPM records

10.Hi-fi's

11. Metal ice trays with lever

12. Blue flashbulb

13.Cork popguns

14. Studebakers

15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered

11-15 =You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the Best Parts of my Life.

Oh so true... I would so love to see kids now days (even most adults) live this way for a month..well even just a week!!!!
I remember all but one on the questions and I owned a Studebaker but it was 10 years old when I bought it.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 AM

I owned a Studebaker, her name was Betsy, I loved that car, i hated outhouses, and we went in the woods to the spring to get water, love that too, drinking fresh water out of the ground or when my grandma would milk the cows, drink warm milk straight from the cow, mmmmm good, oh, the simpler times, i wish we could have them back. This sounds sooo long ago, but i will turn 59 on November 24th, ohhhh did i just say that, big big ouch. lol
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM

I remember All of them. Do you remember having to mix the oil in the peanut butter jar before you could spread it? How about the yellow/orange bead that came in the margeriane packets to turn it yellow-you had to knead it to get the color in.Cream settled on the top of the milk and had to be shaken. Indian head lined paper tablets for school. I could go on and I'm 69 years old! Just remembered another 1--having to poke the ashes in the coal burning stove to heat house.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 AM

I remember All of them. Do you remember having to mix the oil in the peanut butter jar before you could spread it? How about the yellow/orange bead that came in the margeriane packets to turn it yellow-you had to knead it to get the color in.Cream settled on the top of the milk and had to be shaken. Indian head lined paper tablets for school. I could go on and I'm 69 years old!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 AM

Older than dirt, for sure, & then some, lol...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM

Yes, I remember all of those things. Some more things....
They closed the public wading pool 'cause of the polio epidemic, my older brother shoveling the cinders from the coal furnace. Groceries were delivered when Daddy was on the road, Mom didn't drive. The bucket bag was the purse of choice. If your family didn't attend church on a regular basis you were considered strange. Saturday matinees at the local movie theater were .15, candy bars were five cents. Sen sen breath drops. I could go on and on.
I am so old I fart dust! Almost 66.