Are you retired?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 AM

I'm not 'retired'. I'm 48 and came 'home' last August to be with our boys as they finish up high school. We homeschool and I have worked for 10 years and we knew it was time for me to be home fulltime for them. MAYBE I'll go back to work when the youngest is done, but I'm thinking not - by then we'll be in fulltime missions work most likely.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Now you ladies know that retired mean real tired right? you get more done now than you ever did working. hehe. well that is what my dad says. he retired from working in the corporate world early to go to work for our church. he loves every min of it. I retired from working outside the home when I had my kids. will probably go back to working when they are school age.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM

I can also understand. Have been able to do as I choose for 22 yrs. now and loving it all. So great to finally be able to stay home and do what I please and when I please.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 AM

Still working full time. 3 years and 3 months to go, I can't wait.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 PM

My husband was forced to retire 10 yrs ago due to a back injury. At the time I was working in the office of a mall that was going to be torn down and rebuilt as a "village" of stores. The office was closing so hubby ask me to not work anymore after that job. He keeps busy restoring old cars and I quilt - We both work the gardens.... win win for both of us.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM

I'm retired from my paying job, but babysitting more and more. The wages are terrible but the fringe benefits are fantastic!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:17 PM

I have been officially disabled since 2003. I came down with a rare autoimmune disease in March of 2000. At the time I was working as the office manager for my brother's Automotive repair shop. I have not worked since. It has slowed me down a lot but I still manage to do my quilting etc. I am also able to volunteer a couple hours a week at the local senior center as a quilter. My husband who is 10 years my senior retired almost 4 years ago. He managed to stand it for about six months and then got his old job back. It is happy and I don't mind him being out of the house and out from under my feet. He only has a 15 minute commute so he is close by if I have an emergency. I have someone who does the heavy cleaning for me and my husband helps with the dishes etc. My life is not exactly what I had planned before my illness but I'm still here.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM

I retired, but I'm not retired! lol I take care of my 3yr old gd who has sb and soon will have a gs in my care as well. And then in the evenings & weekends I work on customer quilts... I have 2 admit working full time I had more time 4 myself, made more $$$ and accomplished so much more lol But, I'm happy as a clam in sand cause it's what I choose to do :)
Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM

I retired in 1995 and have dabbled a bit since then. I had my own business for 2 years and now I just work 4 days a week 4 days on and four days off. I care for a female police officiers whose husband has Parkinson and needs 24 hour care. I bet the 35 year difference didn't mean much when he was younger, not working well now. My DH is a retired police officer (35 years) and now drives for the Amish. I quilt when I can, especially when he's out of town for days at a time. We also take care of his parents ( they live with us) She's 85 and he's 89 so there is never a dull moment here!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
I retired, but I'm not retired! lol I take care of my 3yr old gd who has sb and soon will have a gs in my care as well. And then in the evenings & weekends I work on customer quilts... I have 2 admit working full time I had more time 4 myself, made more $$$ and accomplished so much more lol But, I'm happy as a clam in sand cause it's what I choose to do :)
Make me smart. What sb?