Hi Everyone!

Old 04-10-2020, 08:52 AM

Default Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone is well and happy! I am new here and have a question. I am a novice sewer using a new to me machine. Sears Best Kenmore. The top thread doesn't seem to spool off well. It'll be tight then loose. I tried turning the spool over. Also there is a cap on top that is in the correct position. I hope this is an easy fix and just my ignorance with the machine. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by betherevr; 04-10-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:28 PM

Hello and welcome, waving from a safe personal space away in Seattle.

Have you tried other spools? Some can look perfectly ordinary but be secret spindles of heck.

Double check all your threading to make sure you aren't missing a step, even the last one down by the needle can make thread jump around quite a bit.

When you sew, are your stitches good on both sides?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB
Old 04-10-2020, 05:46 PM

Hi welcome from Wisconsin. Have you checked -is it catching on the thread slot on the spool. that sometimes happens on mine I make sure that the slot is on the bottom.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

welcome from Ontario, Canada. If the thread is cross-wound ( like an X) unto the spool, it likes to feed with the spool horizontal. This allows the thread to pull off the end to go through the thread guides. If the thread is stacked, it will feed well with the spool vertical.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:42 PM

Welcome from So. Cal. Tartan is correct that you need to find out how the thread is on the spool. If it is the cross wound then you may need a thread stand. Which is not hard to make if you you have a cup, straw and a paper clip. You put the paper clip on the top of the straw , put the thread in the cup, bring the thread up thru the paper clip - I use a bobbin on the original thread spindle on the machine and thread it thru the hole in the bobbin so it will follow the path as if it were coming off the spool on the machine. Not sure that make a whole lot of sense. Or you can buy a thread stand. Just make sure it's near the spindle and not near the wheel on the end. (If the thread gets in there its another problem.)
Old 04-11-2020, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:57 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. I would first check the threading. If you have the manual check this closely. If you don't have the manual I would try and dl it on line. Then check the spool to insure that the thread is not catching on the notch of the spool that lets you catch a thread for storing it. That will occasionally catch up. The other thing you may want to do is change the needle. Jump right in and enjoy the fun. There are a lot of folks here to help you along your journey to learn to sew and quilt. No question is unaskable and there is always an answer to most questions. Have fun that is the most important part of all. Again welcome to the QB!
Old 04-11-2020, 12:49 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful words. I changed the thread as it was the X style to horizontal. It sews for a while but then the material stops moving forward. I do have a manual and I have nearly worn out the troubleshooting page! It says a cause for my trouble could be that the pressure foot is too light, but I can find how to adjust it. It was sewing fine when I made some face masks. I've checked all around by the bobbin and don't see any rogue threads. The thread on top looks good, until it stops moving forward, but underneath it is loopy and jumbled. Man! I'm just trying to put a patch on my favorite sheets! Thanks again! Sorry for the trouble!
Old 04-11-2020, 04:04 PM

Perhaps if you showed a picture of your machine, it might help. When I googled "Sears Best Kenmore" I came up with a few different models. Usually, in the manuals, there are diagrams in the front with the names of the different parts of the machines. Most machines have the pressure control on the top of the machine near the back. Some machines one has to open the top or nose to get to it.

Another thought is that most spool pins have a felt piece to go on the spool pin, before you put the spool of thread on. It sure sounds like the thread is getting caught on something.

Pictures of stitches and thread path, may help.

How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf I think the size limit of the pictures is 1.9MB rather than what is shown when you get to the window to attach files. A lot of times the reason the pictures are unable to load is because they are too large. Another item that I need to remember is to scroll over the far right to find the "Upload" button to click so they will be attached.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-11-2020 at 04:09 PM.