Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
From Quilter's club of America--Copyright Info you MUST read! >

From Quilter's club of America--Copyright Info you MUST read!

From Quilter's club of America--Copyright Info you MUST read!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 AM

I'm sooooo confused! Can I sell a quilt i made from a purchased pattern and can I sell something made out of licensed fabrics? I read both links and I'm still not sure. . .
Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 AM

Copyright is a tough one. That's for sharing this information.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I'm sooooo confused! Can I sell a quilt i made from a purchased pattern and can I sell something made out of licensed fabrics? I read both links and I'm still not sure. . .
these days to sell a quilt you have to ASK the designer of the pattern!
Some say NO and some say GO! According to the first use, yes you can, but only ONCE! As in don't reproduce a dozen turning twenty baby quilts and bring them to the bazaar...I know for a fact that ATkinson designs says NO to selling their items...I wrote and asked about the new lunch bags they have a pattern for and was told most indignantly NO..you can NOT use their patterns to make anything to sell! That would be the yellow brick road people. SO I went online and found a nice tute on making a lunch bag for FREE...their loss and I politely sent them the link to the FREE patterns and said "thank you" for sending me to look else where!

BUT, even the FREE online patterns can have limitations! You have to read the fine print and ASK...

Chances are if you live in a rural area you might can get away with it..even in our SMALL city of 50K, the big colleges send snoops to every craft show to bust people using the college logo fabrics, or making things that are NOT licensed thru them. It gets crazy.

Last holiday season there was even a Disney rep. at the BIG show and he nabbed 19 violators! The fines are crazy AND they seized all the merchandise right then and there!

You just never know...it isn't like it was during the crafting hay-days of the 80'-90's! BAck then folks like Suzanne McNeil promoted crafting via their instruction books...now they publish the book on how to make things but want to Prohibit the sale of those items....for what...who knows...must be GREED...
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Chances are if you live in a rural area you might can get away with it..even in our SMALL city of 50K, the big colleges send snoops to every craft show to bust people using the college logo fabrics, or making things that are NOT licensed thru them. It gets crazy.

Last holiday season there was even a Disney rep. at the BIG show and he nabbed 19 violators! The fines are crazy AND they seized all the merchandise right then and there!

You just never know...it isn't like it was during the crafting hay-days of the 80'-90's! BAck then folks like Suzanne McNeil promoted crafting via their instruction books...now they publish the book on how to make things but want to Prohibit the sale of those items....for what...who knows...must be GREED...
So true !! 10 yrs ago our quilt group raised funds for the Texas A&M Mother's Club Scholarships by making Aggie dorm & lap quilts, for order and auctions. We sold the heck out of them ! We had more orders than we could handle ! Several that were auctioned raised more than $500-1,000 each. Today the school & manuf. would stop & fine us ! SAD :(
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM

This info. is so confusing & contradictory that we may as well get rid of our sewing machines.

I tried to read the info. closely but, in my mind, it just takes me in circles. "Yes you can". "No you can't". HUH???

If we aren't supposed to use these patterns, what were they designed & sold in LQS or free online for? I am very confused.

Guess I'll just go to a movie today instead of sew.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM

I feel the same way...What if the pattern comes from one of the free pattern sites??? What are you allowed to do with those???
Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM

The same copyright laws apply whether the pattern is sold or available for free. The designer has the only right to decide what he or she wants to do with the pattern; i.e., sell it or give it away. Quite often the freebies are an enticement to get people to visit websites. Say if 1 person made 50 copies, kept 1 for herself & gave away the other 49 that is 49 people who had no reason to visit the website therefore costing the designer potential sales.

One thing I am so happy to see finally being addressed is whether or not someone has a right to sell the 1 quilt they made from a purchased pattern. I have always vehemently defended my right to do so since it is my property under the fair use doctrine. If I found a pattern I wanted to duplicate numerous times for the purpose of selling the quilts that would be another story.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

oh yes, you can't fool with Disney!! never, never. they are too big!!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nativetexan
oh yes, you can't fool with Disney!! never, never. they are too big!!
or Colleges!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Well, perhaps we should stop buying their books! I have too many anyway. Have you also noticed that our new quilt magazines are showing many quilt designers using old patterns with "new" fabrics that they designed. That is one reason why I'm not renewing many of my subscriptions.