Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
From Quilter's club of America--Copyright Info you MUST read! >

From Quilter's club of America--Copyright Info you MUST read!

From Quilter's club of America--Copyright Info you MUST read!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by memereof8
Well, perhaps we should stop buying their books! I have too many anyway. Have you also noticed that our new quilt magazines are showing many quilt designers using old patterns with "new" fabrics that they designed. That is one reason why I'm not renewing many of my subscriptions.
face it, there is NOTHING new in quilting..it is the same hundred year old patterns, just with NEW fabrics, or new designers...and with software like quiltpro, EQ, corell draw...it is just the THOUGHT they made something new, but it is not new!

Since the magazines are now nothing but patterns and NO news of what is going around the rest of the world in quilting (since they figure everyone is on the internet instead)..there is nothing but ugly patterns and ADS....I invest my $$ in ink and paper for the printer instead!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
This sort of clears up some issues with copyright violation. But as usual there are still some "gray" areas!

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...-quilters.aspx
So there really are Quilt Police?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwilter
This sort of clears up some issues with copyright violation. But as usual there are still some "gray" areas!

So there really are Quilt Police?
I suppose one could say that..heheheh
Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM

While I appreciate this information and all the other information about copyright law, when it comes to quilting and similar individual endeavors, my question is "what is copyrightable?" Can someone claim that he/she has a copyright on the Ohio Star pattern if it is a 10 inch block instead of the usual 6, 9 or 12 inch block? How about Log Cabin variations, layouts, etc.?

All of us understand that copyright laws and patents, which are provided for in the U. S. Constitution, are designed to encourage creativity whether artistic or mechanical. I suppose--no, I know--that some people want to avoid paying for patterns by borrowing and copying patterns they did not pay for. That is certainly dishonest, but I think the vast majority or us are not trying "to get away" with anything.

If every quilt, table runner, totebag, purse, etc., made to be sold or given as a gift has to be an original design out of our own heads, a lot of people are going to be left out in the cold.

My conclusion is that because I had never heard of mug rugs before I saw them somewhere on the Internet, it is breaking the copyright law for me to make them using my own scraps, making them the size I want, stuffing them with batting of my choice, etc., and then selling them at a church bazaar. Or perhaps I could change the name to "oversized coaster" or "glorified placemat" and "get away with it."

I am reminded of Winston Churchill, who, after being reprimanded for ending a sentence with a preposition, responded, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Peace and grace, froggyintexas
Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 AM

Basic question regarding display of quilt in a show. Not selling it, just entered into a show. I've wondered whether I need permission to use someone else's pattern.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EmmaJulie
Basic question regarding display of quilt in a show. Not selling it, just entered into a show. I've wondered whether I need permission to use someone else's pattern.
There are a few designers who do NOT want you to make a quilt for show or sale!

There are a few that require you do ask permission before displaying a quilt made from their pattern and also that you give recognition to them on the label or description of the quilt!

Then there are those who are thrilled for you and feel honored that you chose THEIR pattern to inspire your quilt and they wish you all the best in your showing of it!

Once again, read the pattern cover to cover, if NO info is available, go the designers webpage, if still NO info..email/call them!

The ball is always in the designer's court, it is up to YOU/WE/US to make sure we cover our own backsides and know what is right or wrong in these situations.

Having said that, I wish you the best of luck in your showing!