Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
NOT TRUE any longer.........Viking and Pfaff have come out with a new software - comparable to the 5D Professional Software, that is specifically designed for MAC computers......It just was rolled out this summer.........
This is very true plus if you take your Mac into the Apple store they'll format it so that you can use windows as well. I love 5D Professional Plus and waiting to see what new things were added to the 6D when it comes out this yr. Check out Vikings website under software to see the Mac version.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
Thank you all for your recommendations. I didn't know about putting washable stabilizer on top of fabric if I use fabric that's washable. Unfortunately, the fabric that I have been using is dry cleanable only. I will try the double layer of stabilizer (perpendiciular to each other) and a size 90 needle to see if that works better. Should I us quilting basting spray between the layers and on back of fabric? I am not sure about basting the perimeter of the hoop - I wonder if stitches will show on dry cleanable fabric?
There is also a heat soluable stabilizer that goes away with heat. I use quilt basting spray alot, and have no problem. I try to give it a minute or two to dry before emb on it. Alot of machines have a machine basting stitch that if you push the button it will automatically stitch the perimeter of the hoop, you can also use straight pins to hold things in place just make sure they aren't in the sewing area. Blue painters tape is also a good tool to have around when emb. Sometimes I have stabilizer that barely fits in the hoop so I help secure it tighter by putting down some painters tape and then use the metal clips that came with my machine. The basting spray is also great when you are emb and get a tear in the stabilizer, just spray the area and attach a scrap piece of stablizier and you are good to go. If I need multiple layers of stablizier but the designs are taking up the whole area of the hoop I put one layer in the hoop and then use my scraps of WSS and spray attach them to where needed. I use a lot less stabilizier this way and it works great. Also save you scraps of WSS not only for patching but the small pieces can be soak in water and create a "starch" like substance for your fabric which is great for FSL items.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Banned

I have so many scraps of WSS that I had to start a second container to hold them
all.

Another thing I do is save ALL scraps of tear away & cut away stabilizers that are
at least 2"x???. I use these scraps are "floating" pieces under the hoop for smaller
but dense designs.

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
There is also a heat soluable stabilizer that goes away with heat. I use quilt basting spray alot, and have no problem. I try to give it a minute or two to dry before emb on it. Alot of machines have a machine basting stitch that if you push the button it will automatically stitch the perimeter of the hoop, you can also use straight pins to hold things in place just make sure they aren't in the sewing area. Blue painters tape is also a good tool to have around when emb. Sometimes I have stabilizer that barely fits in the hoop so I help secure it tighter by putting down some painters tape and then use the metal clips that came with my machine. The basting spray is also great when you are emb and get a tear in the stabilizer, just spray the area and attach a scrap piece of stablizier and you are good to go. If I need multiple layers of stablizier but the designs are taking up the whole area of the hoop I put one layer in the hoop and then use my scraps of WSS and spray attach them to where needed. I use a lot less stabilizier this way and it works great. Also save you scraps of WSS not only for patching but the small pieces can be soak in water and create a "starch" like substance for your fabric which is great for FSL items.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
This is very true plus if you take your Mac into the Apple store they'll format it so that you can use windows as well. I love 5D Professional Plus and waiting to see what new things were added to the 6D when it comes out this yr. Check out Vikings website under software to see the Mac version.
Personally I have a MAC so I don't have to have anything Windows on it. For me that would be defeating the purpose of getting rid of all the junk (robots and such) that tend to find its way using MS products and or visiting MS friendly only websites.

I did not realize until I did buy a MAC a few months ago how awful anything MS is awful and certainly being online using it. So I use a PC with MS on it only because I have no other choice to run my sewing/embroidery/serger type machines.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
I have so many scraps of WSS that I had to start a second container to hold them
all.

Another thing I do is save ALL scraps of tear away & cut away stabilizers that are
at least 2"x???. I use these scraps are "floating" pieces under the hoop for smaller
but dense designs.
That was one of the first things I learned regarding stabilizers and such regarding the water soluable ones. I keep a jar with water next to my desk and put it in and there you go one has a liquid starch for when I do FSL projects.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
Personally I have a MAC so I don't have to have anything Windows on it. For me that would be defeating the purpose of getting rid of all the junk (robots and such) that tend to find its way using MS products and or visiting MS friendly only websites.

I did not realize until I did buy a MAC a few months ago how awful anything MS is awful and certainly being online using it. So I use a PC with MS on it only because I have no other choice to run my sewing/embroidery/serger type machines.
I was only trying to let those who need the option know about it. They don't format all of your Mac, its just a space to run Window based programs. We each have our own likes and dislikes which is why this world is so great. It would be boring if we were all the same and liked all of the same things. I personally don't go with Apple or Sony because I don't like companies who almost demand you only use thier products. Windows also now makes an Office suite for mac users. I think its great for companies to expand so that others can use what they like and not what they are forced into using. I don't have alot of junk on my pc from anything because there are ways of keeping it clean. I have a degree in computers and also work in the IT field so I try to keep up with all of the new stuff; which isn't easy since it changes so fast. I think there are lots of reasons for the Mac to be a good investment; just like my LQS just switched to MAC since Viking came up with the Mac Pro because from a security stand point its easier to maintain than the Windows based environment. We have mostly all Windows at work but we also have a very large IT department to maintain it. On the other hand; the doctors, nurses and most managers carry around the iPad. Its great to have choices and the right to chose. I just know that after being on this site for several yrs that not all users know the options and I was trying to let them know. Nothing against Mac or Windows was intended.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:23 AM

Hello All. . . . Please forgive the intrusion, but I have a few questions unrelated to stabilizers. I was trying to find the correct place to post my questions, but couldn't find my way back to the original "thread".

(1) What are "o e s d" designs?

(2) Who is Anita Goodesign & are these designs/downloads safe? They seem quite cheap compared to some of the other places on the web. There are collections for $39, whereas other sites may have the same or similar collections for $59.

(3) And here's the $64,000 question: What's the best way to organize downloads from the web? The machine came with a usb stick, which probably contains some storage gigs. It seems the more I read, the more confused I get. Reading this thread, there's a QB member who commented (forgive the paraphrase) that her designs are stored everywhere & that if she knew then what she knows now, her "filing" system would be totally different & much more organized.

I just want to start out my new adventure right by learning from my QB sisters. . . Thanks in advance for your most valued wisdom . . . GP
Old 08-05-2013, 06:56 AM

Groovy Piecese love your avatar being the Snoopy fan that I am! I have two flash drives that I store my designs on and name them accordingly to the design. Some of the designs I also keep in a folder labeled such as "quilting motifs" and so forth. There are many here that can give you great advice. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I use water soluable thread to piece my WSS together so I can reuse it. I also sew my others together too.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groovy Pieces View Post
Hello All. . . . Please forgive the intrusion, but I have a few questions unrelated to stabilizers. I was trying to find the correct place to post my questions, but couldn't find my way back to the original "thread".

(1) What are "o e s d" designs?

(2) Who is Anita Goodesign & are these designs/downloads safe? They seem quite cheap compared to some of the other places on the web. There are collections for $39, whereas other sites may have the same or similar collections for $59.

(3) And here's the $64,000 question: What's the best way to organize downloads from the web? The machine came with a usb stick, which probably contains some storage gigs. It seems the more I read, the more confused I get. Reading this thread, there's a QB member who commented (forgive the paraphrase) that her designs are stored everywhere & that if she knew then what she knows now, her "filing" system would be totally different & much more organized.

I just want to start out my new adventure right by learning from my QB sisters. . . Thanks in advance for your most valued wisdom . . . GP
OESD - Oklahoma Embroidery Supplies Designs (I believe that is correct.) They have some very good design collections.
Anita Goodesign is another of the quality companies offering embroidery designs. I usually buy them on a cd at one of the local sewing machine stores.
Now the organization thing is up in the air. I have software that is supposed to be wonderful for that purpose but then you have to learn to use it properly and I have not acquired the knowledge or skill to begin to utilize it to its full potential. Not the fault of the software but that of the user. I store my designs on two external drives - one is for backup. I use the travel drive to transfer them to my machine. I use the small 1 to 2 gb drives for this function. I sort my designs by designer. I have a folder for each brand i.e. OESD, Amazing Designs, Anita Goodesign, etc.