Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 AM

You are much needed by this quilting community. No one knows what life has in store for us and the best we can do is to live life to its fullest. My advice to you is to sew, sew, and sew. (that may require some more fabric.....lol) There are so many worthwhile organizations and projects that need us. In this day and age, 72 is still considered young! We're all behind you and there are plenty of us that are have that "senior" status!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 AM

I figure I have to work faster and live longer. Who says I won't live till 120. I am 70 and only been quilting 10 years.

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 AM

I'll be 62 this Dec....my Mom is 87 yrs. young...we both have enough projects going to keep us living for another 50 yrs. at least!!! So perk up...get going on those new projects...having something to do is what keeps you young... Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 AM

Hi there.... for my 2cents... i agree it's overwhelming to look at all the collection of fabrics and think.... hummmm so much... BUT i love to surf the net and this board and find quick and easy projects and then run to my "wall o fabrics" and pic what i already have to make the pattern... (that's the rule,,, nothing new)... save the snobbery for the ribbon winners.. LOL and enjoy... there is so much info out there for quick and easy stuff... ie... (Missouri Star Quilt Company.. with video tuts you can watch over and over to make sure you "get it")... I can't wait to get to the next project, just to find the fabric.. Put it somewhere by color so you can "shop at your own house"... DH put mine on the wall.. need a ladder to get to the top, but it's fun..
I'm 64 (getting ready for MediCare..hehehe)... had emergency life threatening surgery last year, that has slowed me down, but hey, all the more time for quilting...
Oh and add closets full of yarn, hooks and needles to the mix.. that's the "TV time stuff"..i shine in that dept... used to teach and worked in a yarn show for years... so i can create doll stuff and amigurmi... make sweaters for my kids and every baby that comes along!!! (with a little quilt to go with).. Anywhoooooooooo.... pm me anytime,,, glad to help however i could.. (i have a monday group of 5 that keeps me going... they are my rocks...).. hugs barbara
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Sometimes I feel like there is not enough time to do everything in a day and I get down and accomplish nothing. I have to talk to myself and tell me you can't give up just get going again there are so many people out there now that need our help we're so lucky to have the gift of being able to quilt, crochet, knit, etc. which is truly a gift some people can't do and need us. I'm going to be 65 June 1 and it's been depresses me but I'm trying to work thru it and it isn't easy but when I visit this site it helps a lot to know there are other people out there going thru the same thing and how we can help each other one foot in front of the other. I see these poor people in the tornando's and thing how lucky I am. So a big hug from me to you all and lets keep working with the gift God gave us to help others and ourselves. Blessings to you all. Sue
Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 AM

I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
Marcy, can I come over and be a quilting buddy? I am 67 and I am not slowing down. There is so much I want to do. I take care of my great grandson 2 days a week and he is 2 years old and he keeps me hopping. But i love it. On the other days I quilt to relax. lol
Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Ten years ago my three and half year old granddaughter died suddenly. You need to get real. Being young is no guarantee that you will live long and prosper and being old is not a guarantee that you won't. I admire the counseling style that tells people, "Get over it!" You are wasting time feeling sorry for yourself because you've lived so long. Get over it! froggyintexas
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 AM

I have ordered a LA to be delivered in two week and am cleaning out my DH wood shop to be a quilting studio. I worried I was to old at 70 but decided if not now, When? I don't care if i get it all done ,I'm going to enjoy each piece of fabric and machine for as long as I can.
My grandmother quilted to the day they died. What a way to go, having fun!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 AM
RDM

I totally relate, but if I get into my project then I enjoy the process. I suggest you not look behind or forward, but to the present. Each day can be filled with fun. Believe you have many wonderful days ahead of you. If you have a group of friends it may help to make plans to work on projects together, or go out for coffee and a LQS for inspiration. We seniors are the new hip majority generation sure to influence and make changes. Wear your favorite color, celebrate your stash, and I wish you much fun in the process.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 AM

You have lots of time to quilt yet! Get inspired by the quilts and quilters on this site. I hope to purchase more fabric on the last day of my life(whenever that is)!! :P