Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!! >

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

My little Mr. Ted E. Bear quilt owner will no doubt need an "I Spy" quilt!!
For now, my main objective is to collect fabrics, as I watch for the pattern I choose to do.

For those who have already been down this road, and have seen children enjoying these ...

* what size of blocks have you found to be the most interesting to wee ones? too small? too big?

* at what age do children enjoy an I Spy the most? youngest? oldest?

* and any other tips, hints and tricks to help me make it the best ever!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Great questions! Looking forward to responses as I'd like to make an I Spy donation quilt or two. Been saving 3"X3" squares, but maybe these are too small?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

If you are just using "I Spy" squares I use about 5" squares. You could always do one with some tradtional blocks and use squares of the same size or at least a multiple of your block size. QuiltE you will come up with a great idea I am sure.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 AM

They are so great. I have made many . The first was for my DD. She is 25 and sometimes transports kids for visitation etc. She bought a new car and was concerened the damage they did to the back of front seats.. So I made an I spy quilt with velcro ties to go around the headrests. They loved it and spent the hours drive looking for items. She did not even have to interact with them. The older child tok the lead and had siblings searching. that was made with 6 in" squares.
then came 5" squares for all of my great nephews. 6 so far.2more coming for xmas.
GAMES. finding different catagories ex. Fruits, veges, vehicles, dogs cats,( stripes, polka dots, circles, plaids(put those in for older kids)
Throwing bean bags on a catagory,
Looking for colors
cuddling with, finding your favorite sq.
counting all the dif. catagories
First on to find something
giving kids 3 thingsto find at a time an put something over the squares til all are covered. ( plastic chips,blocks bean bags)
The oldest nephew is 9 his was made with all sports blocks)
he still searches for stuff and his friends play too
the xmas ones are going to toddlers 1 and 18mos. THey will have tummy time and begin early to fnid simple things and grow into it.
I used 5in squares, and will be glad to send you some to get you started. I tried not to repeat sq.
PM me if you want some.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
If you are just using "I Spy" squares I use about 5" squares. You could always do one with some tradtional blocks and use squares of the same size or at least a multiple of your block size. QuiltE you will come up with a great idea I am sure.
ha! I'm not worried about the ideas ... more concerned that the pieces are large enough for kids to enjoy! I visualize LOTS of different pieces coming together

So, as I collect fabric pieces *hint!*hint!* that I get ones big enough to be worthwhile!!

And .... what age do the kids get the most out of an I Spy? (hoping that it's later, rather than sooner, so I have time to collect, create and produce!)
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM

I have found for rag quilts 6 1/2 inch blocks work best because you need a larger seam allowance. If you are making traditional or non-rag blocks 5 inch works well.

If you can get 2 of each block you can make an "I-spy a match"
quilt to add another game. You can also make "themed" quilts for holidays, summer, games, sports, foods, etc. These take a bit more time to collect, but are fun.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Could someone post a picture. I'd like to see what you have as an eye spy quilt. I've done a few baby quilts for great nieces and nephews but maybe I'm not doing them the way they are supposed to be done.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM

There is no "supposed to" in quilting! I am sure yours are wonderful and much loved.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I have found for rag quilts 6 1/2 inch blocks work best because you need a larger seam allowance. If you are making traditional or non-rag blocks 5 inch works well.

If you can get 2 of each block you can make an "I-spy a match"
quilt to add another game. You can also make "themed" quilts for holidays, summer, games, sports, foods, etc. These take a bit more time to collect, but are fun.
good idea for matching doubles. thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 AM

my guess on ages is 2 to 6/7