Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 to spend which machine?

Janome Horizon with 11 inches of open space. If you want embroidery too, 11000SE but I think that's more like $4,000. The horizon should be in the $2,500 range.

Wanted to check and see if anyone else mentioned it before I mentioned mine. I spent about $2grand and got a QC1000 and a wheeled bag for it and a serger. I don't know how I lived without a serger up till now. Not for quilts but other things. I love,love,love my Brother machine I have had no trouble with it. It hasn't been serviced since I got it.(no close dealers in GA) Any trouble has been operator error only. I am planning on getting it serviced soon since I just moved to VA where it was bought. I clean it regularly. I can't wait to get it set back up. It will be a few weeks before I get the room set up for sewing.

Babylock Symphonie Hands down!

You have to ask yourself what features you want in na machine. If its just basicly a straight stitch, the Janome 6600 is great. or if you could find a 6500 it would be good too.

There are several good machines out there but you can't get more for your money than with a Janome.

Are you saying the Janome 6600 has only straight stitch?? Maybe we're not talking about the same machine.

No, not at all. Only that it doesn't have 3000 stitches, when for quilting, you will generally only use the straight stich. There's a reason that long-arm machines only have straight stitching capabilities.

I love my Husquarna sewing and embroidery machine. I have used the embroidery to do the quilting on a finished quilt. Wouldn't trade it for any other.

You could get a Bernina that has been traded in from a dealer. I saw a used 200E/730 at my dealers for $3,250 yesterday. I am a quilter and that is one of the machines I own. As a bonus, it is a machine embroidery sewing machine too.

You could also get a used Bernina that is made for quilting only for a heck of a lot less. I wouldn't trade my Bernina for anything.

Blog Entries
    Janome Professional I love mine

Ditto! Got one and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by smtp5
    Babylock--Quilter's choice.

I love my Viking. I have used the Espire and loved that too. Check them both out before buying one, especially for that money, remember you're going to have it forever.

I recently purchased a Janome Horizon 7700. It's new so they aren't discounting the price yet, and I paid 2999.00. I just quilted a queen size quilt in no time at all. The 11" throat makes it a breeze. It also has more decorative stitches than I'll ever use and it also does small letters in 3 different fonts. it came with 17 different feet, but I've only used the walking foot which trugged across my thick batting without a cough or a wrinkle. I still have much to learn about it but so far I love it. Definitely check this one out before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl
    I guiltily admit to having Vikings, Berninas, Pfaffs, Elnas and a Janome and, if I had to pick one, it would be a Pfaff. I just love the IDT feature on my Pfaffs.
    I'd love to have a newer Pfaff that was lighter than my 1222E Pfaff, sweet machine, but much too heavy. I also have Berninas along with a new Viking with all the bells and whistles. But none of those have the IDT that the Pfaff does.

Wait for a great sale and your should be able to get a Bernina Aurora 430 I really like mine and had opportunity to practice on a friends . Make sure to try all you can before you decide. Enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    I love my Pfaff. Used mainly for quilting, although has the embroidery feature which I haven't used much. I do FWQ with it without any problems. I got it at LQS about 2 years ago. It was a discontinued model that had been used as a floor sample, but was like new. It was a great buy for about 1400, I think.
    I agree! I got my Expressions 4.0 with the larger neck area, auto cutter, knee lift, needle up and down and midway. Lots of feet, 220 stitches. all for $1999 and that was with their $500 off sale and my broken machine for another $500. Plus they threw in the acrylic table surround and extended warranty. Good deal I thought and I am just so happy with the new machine. This machine is the top of the line before you go into the expensive embroidery machines. :thumbup: Jan

I would get the Janome7700 Horizon.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Blog Entries
    I bought a sweet sixteen bernina and its' last years model but I love it andit was in your price range

I second Melinda's thoughts. See what the Babylock Serenade offers. When these come out, the Quest Plus may be available for less. I just bought one for $1300, and I've read of them for as low as $1000. Try to get the kit of 9 extra feet. I didn't :( The Pfaff Smarter looks quite similar, but with auto cut, low bobbin warning, electronic tension and famous Pfaff feet. The Janome 6600 is also similar, and older. It doesn't have a free arm. It has a proven record of dependability and loyal users. The Janome Horizon has THE longest harp-11"! and the most features for $2300-$3000, but some machines have been troublesome. I might upgrade to it in a year or so, when the bugs are gone, hopefully. Elna has the 740 Xcellence, similar to the Horizon, but it's not clear to me if it has the APC, or automatic conversion to single hole plate. It's new, so the first model caveats apply. Bernina machines in your price range do not have anywhere near a 9" throat, but their owners love them anyway. The Pfaff QE 4 ($2000-2500)has some who love it, but apparently some lemons, too. Mostly, you need to decide if you want certain features like IDT/ Accufeed or if a walking foot is ok for you. The brother Laura Ashley ($2500) machine and Babylock Symphony are loaded with great stitches and feautures, but don't have the integrated dual feed. They also seem to have good histories.

I also have the Brother QC1000 and use it almost every day. I love it and it has far more functions that I will ever use. It was right around $2000.

I would get quotes from each vendor and then barter a little. Because of the economy they are able to deal a little bit more than usual.

I am a Bernina person through and through. I'd go that way. They are very user friendly. I would be sure to get the needle up/down option and the hands free pressure foot system for sure. They are something I wouldn't want to do with out. When I use my featherweight, I miss both of those features, and catch myself trying to use them. The needle up/down also amost assures you that you will never unthread your needle when you start sewing. Have fun with what ever you buy. It's always exciting to get a new machine. Oh, yes, make sure you get a dealer that will support you with knowlege, service, and lessons. Very important!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smtp5
    Babylock--Quilter's choice.
    I have a decorators choice and love it!!

janome has that new sewing machine, really neat, lots of options on it, it's called the 7700. if i could afford it, i'd have that one.
    donna

Of course, you should sew on all your finalists, get classes included if buying from a dealer, and HAGGLE! It's hard for us Americans, but I learned in Africa, and it works here too. I got my BL Quest Plus for $300 less than the originally stated price, with little effort, and then got a few extras included. I wished I'd had pushed harder. We are so programmed to be polite, to our detriment sometimes. I also wish I had seen the Smarter by Pfaff before I bought. I don't know when the Serenade is coming out, and I'm having fun now, so that's okay. The janome 7700 Horizon or Elna 740 Xcellence might be my next step, but not first run machines. If I was after a straight stitch only machine, I'd look at Jukis for $600-900. I dont know a thing about Vikings, but some quilters love those too. After just a month with my BLQP, I now must have Integrated dual feed, knee lifter, 9+" harp, needle up/down button, lock stitch button, snap on feet, and cute stitches. This after 20 years with <10 stitches, and auto-nothing!

The best one that I have found is the Brother that I have. It has a 9" throat (I know some are bigger now), and a very flat, wide bed area. It came with two extension tables and has a telescopic arm for the thread holder. I can adjust the pressure and height of the needle, it has a side loading bobbin and the needle threads from the LH side. The quilting stitch is very nice as it is a dedicated straight- stitcher only. It was $1,000.00 and I think it is my best machine, even though I paid $10,000.00 for another brand that doesn't work.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast