Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 questions for older folks maybe >

2 questions for older folks maybe

2 questions for older folks maybe

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
Just so you know, Coke was originally made to clean car engines so it does a lot in the way of cutting through grease and other such stuff. I would think it also would soft the jeans, not so much by removing the dye as softening the fabric fibers.

We used it a lot in the shop to clean battery cables when they were croded from battery acid. (sorry , my spelling is so bad even spell check can't figure that word out)
You're being silly right? It was actually medicine laced with cocaine. The doctor who formulated it sold the formula which was then diluted with carbonated water. And my 13yr old did a test for his science project where he put old baby teeth (his and his brothers. I was ok with this) in different drinks. He used Coke, Monster, Gatorade, orange juice, and water. The Gatorade tooth fell apart! Crumbled to sand size particles. The Coke one just got brown.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I have never heard of washing fabric with coke but looking at what it does to a penny is scary.
Have you ever seen what "Skin-So-Soft" by Avon is capable of doing???? LOL <wave>
Old 09-07-2010, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Skin so soft????????? I LOVE that stuff, but WHAT does it do????????
Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 AM
KR

I don't know about washing jeans, but when I was a child my folks would pour a bottle of Coke over the car windshield to clean/de-grease it during a rainstorm.

As for the mesh fabric....Wal-Mart has the mesh laundry bags for about $1.50. They are a pretty good size, too.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

I thought our stomachs naturally produced some kind of acid to help break down foods for digestion.

We were so tickled to get anything that was brand new, that we wouldn't dream of hacking it up.

The stiff new jeans were washed and washed the first few times to soften them up before wearing.

Don't know what anti-freeze does to clothing, but I do know that battery acid will put holes in denim.

This is the first time I've heard of Coke (does Pepsi work as well?) being used as a fabric softener or window cleaner.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 AM

Have had fun reading all the replies to the "coke" question on jean material. Coke used to clean battery post (good) clean chrome on cars (good). Yes, it all works well. Using to soften jeans, yes I remember this...however never did try it as VINEGAR will do the same. Recommend you turn jeans inside out. Coke is very good when U have the flu "just remember it has to be room temperture" used this for years on children. Now they have moved away from home and still get a call for me to go purchse them a bottle of "warm coke".
Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
What a relief to look at this post and realize I don't know the answers!

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)
LOL!!!! Old folk, Young folk!! This is funny!! I only know half the answer so I guess I'm a 'Between Folk' :D
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

I don't dare answer this one because it might reveal my age.........Forever 39....
Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
What a relief to look at this post and realize I don't know the answers!

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)
you and me both :lol:
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Nursie76: I about fell off my very high stool this morning.( I fall off it alot so never hurt myself) When I went to look at the site you sent for the totes and it turns out to be our local store. Love that store, they have the largest selection of stuff I have seen. Its a great store and not far from my house. We also have another I use quite a lot its called Second chance fabrics, at secondchancefabrics.com Its a great store to go to also and she is also in a lot of the quilt shows as a vendor so have gotten to know her personally and just love her.

Rita