Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
44/45" fabric is now 40/42"???  Ugh!! >

44/45" fabric is now 40/42"??? Ugh!!

44/45" fabric is now 40/42"??? Ugh!!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM

My age is showing!! I remember when I started sewing as a young girl (9 or 10) the standard width of fabric was 36 inches not 44 or 45! So as cotton gets more expensive the less width will be there. So make sure you know the width you need before buying. But I also never expect to use more than 40 inch width, just to be safe.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM

It's the same with construction paper that I use at school. I have been teaching forever and in the last few years, patterns I use suddenly didn't fit on the paper when I went to trace them. I have had to modify many patterns and it's a pain. It's the way of the world I guess.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

It's the same concept in groceries. Did you notice that the jar of [fill in the blank] is smaller than it used to be but you pay the same price? So now the fabric gets woven to a narrower width but we still pay the same per yard price (if not more). I used to count on 42" usable fabric - suppose I have to cut that down and consider the wide ones a bonus.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

come on now. I have never considered fabric to be 44-45' wide. I have had entire lines of fabric from a company and the widths differed It depends on where it is printed and the greig goods it was printed on. With the fluctuating state of cotton and fabic now being printed in several different couuntries there is going to be differenes. We just have to be dilligent in knowing what we are buying. It is my opinion that fabric manufacturers (I am talking about the Moda's, Benartex, etc etc) print on wherever they can get the fabric. I know people at these companies and I am sure they are not trying to cheat us quilters but to try and keep the supply going. Has anyone complained to the supermarkets and tuna packers about the reduction in ounces......lets be an equal opportunity society......

Several years ago I complained to a rep from one of the fabric companies whom I knew and was told "we only guarantee it to be at least 40" wide).

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-25-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: removed political statement
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM

My biggest peeve with the "new" size is trying to have enough fabric to make the patterns I already have that are based on 45" fabric--it just takes more! Now you have to figure out how much extra to buy.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

fabric widths vary from manufacturer to manufacturer===on fabric.com if you click on a fabric you are interested in the description tells you the width---i don't know if Connecting threads does the same-
but you can find fabric in widths from 36" up to 54" and everything in between- if you are purchasing for a specific it is a good idea to check the width so you can adjust your purchase as needed-
it has nothing to do with the supplier (fab.com/ connecting threads) they purchase it and try to give you accurate descriptions.
fabrics have varied this much for many many years----and is most apparent (to quilters) when they shop at larger stores that carry fabrics for apparel and home decor along with quilting fabrics.
the lqs' generally have fabrics considered specific for quilting and they (generallY) range 42"-44"
but stores that carry fabrics for many uses-not specific - shop for the best deals to offer their customers- and purchase from more/different suppliers than the lqs may use.
best to always check the end of the bolt- and the descriptions to see what you are getting.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 PM

I am going to check the bolt ends, I wonder if they still say 44/45? I won't get to my lqs until early April, or to Joann's until then too. A friend of mine just complained that the toilet paper rolls are not as wide now!!! She is right, I just never noticed. The marketer's must think that the consumer isn't bright enough to know, or just figure that we have so much expendable income that we just don't care.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-25-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: remove political statement