Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
accepting sewing supplies >

accepting sewing supplies

accepting sewing supplies

Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Dear Chamby, have you asked our Heavenly Father what He would like you to do?? All the ideas that were suggested are great. The lady may have thought you would have better ideas then hers to use the fabric for. Giving her a picture of what you did with some of the fabric would be appreciation enough.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 PM

I don't think you should feel obligated to make her something everytime out of the stash....I'm sure she's just trying to do something for you that she knows you would enjoy using. Maybe it's one way she feels she can contribute.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM

imho, if you feel she expects something in return you can a) thank her and take a chance that she won't give you anything else. b) make some potholders- really quick and easy or of those dish towels that have fabric loops to hang them from or oven mitts, c) take her out for lunch once a year and invite her to dinner once a year. tell her you're pleased with her company.

other than being kind and thankful, i don't think you owe anything.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM

I agree with the 1 item per year as a thank you....otherwise, accept with grace and use it as you see fit. I don't think she expects anything in return. God Bless you.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 PM

As the daughter of a mom who enables me in any endeavor I set my sights on, I am very inclined to believe that the woman in your church is just like my mom.
Mom and I can walk through the same garage sale and SHE will be the one to find a grand sewing machine for $45 and bargain the person down to $35 and find a shoe box full of rickrack and binding for 75 cents. She doesn't sew, but because she knows I do, she will show me where the good buys are, then buy everything.
She encourages a lot of people with her ability to find deals and when she finds out someone needs something for a good cause, you can bet Mom is on the "hunt" for their supplies.
Because she was once a young mom and wife, she remembers tight budgets and understands that she has time to find the buys, while others are busy with a productive life.
All one has to do, if you are around my mother, is tell her about a project you are working on, and my mom will be around with an armload of supplies ... all purchased at a good price.
She does it because she believes that she is using her gifts and resources to the best of her abilility to glorify the Lord.
Her generosity springs from appreciation for others who do what she cannot do.
She, who cannot sew, knit, or crochet, has been my biggest cheerleader, and is always looking for others who do the same things I do, to encourage them. She is generous so that others may be also. 3 John 4
when mom was a young wife, my dad's mother did a lot to help mom and dad accomplish their goals. She babysat, sewed clothes, she invited them to meals ... I was very young <g> I don't know what all grandmother wright from Oklahoma did for my family, but mother shared a conversation she had early on with her mother-in-law:
She asked: You do so much for us. How will I ever be able to repay you for all you have done?
Grandmother answered: You can't. But, there will be a time when you will be able to help someone else. Always remember that at one time, someone helped you - - and pass it on.
(Trust me - - this was DECADES before "Pay it Forward".
Rest your mind, my dear. I am certain you just found a benefactor who understands give and take ... the best thing you can do after you say "THank you" is to pass it on by using your gifts to bless others.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Amen!! Pass it on..............
Old 09-18-2009, 04:51 PM

What a lovely gesture. Most of us would be thrilled with free fabric. Use it and love it, I'm sure that's all the giver wants. It might be nice to treat her to lunch, or make her something small. Even a bouquet of flowers and a hand written thank you. I bet she just knows you are magic with fabric. Just make sure you thank her properly. She'll keep you in fabric and you'll have a new friend!