Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
after 56 years of marriage,having to downsize >

after 56 years of marriage,having to downsize

after 56 years of marriage,having to downsize

Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Many good suggestions here! I have started downsizing a bit. What I'm doing is making up kits for me to make in the future. Many of my purchases were "Oh...I like this/that fabric/pattern!" Now I'm matching up patterns with fabric, and panels with fabric, and purging accessories I don't want/need or even know what they are anymore. Once that is done, I will follow some of the suggestions here! Good luck!
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 PM

God Bless you in your move and new home!
Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 PM

I'm another for donating to a local quilting group / charity sewing group.
I don't envy your task nor the decisions your're facing.
Sending comforting and peaceful thoughts your way!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:14 AM

Default not having to pay a moving company

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
If I were moving, I'd only have 2 piles: Love it and Don't Love it. Give away what you don't love. Or offer it here for sale for cheap. Are you hiring a moving company? They will give you an estimate on how much stuff you have, so get rid of as much as possible before calling them. They will also charge by the pound in many cases. Ask yourself "is this worth 50 cents a pound to move? Do I want this fabric where I'm going?" If you answer no to either question, out it goes.
Luckily,we're just moving on the other end of town,and its in stages, have so many friends and family with trucks,and my church people have offered to help,too. We're not having to pay for the move.and a friend owns a truck rental business that has volunteered us a truck,all we have to pay for is the gas.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 AM

I wish you could find a group of ladies like some in one of our local churches here. They call themselves "Prayers and Squares Group". With donated fabrics, they sew squares into small lap quilts and use a yarn tie through the center of each square to tie it together. Then, When someone submits a name, to the church, of a member or friend who is facing surgery or has cancer or other illnesses and in need of comforting prayers, then during the church service, the quilt is passed around from person to person, each taking just a few seconds to say a short prayer while they tie a knot in the yarn tie, and pass to the next person to pray and tie a knot, for the person in need of prayers. The recipient of the quilt then feels the love and comfort from all the prayers that were said in all the tied knots on the quilt. You might check to see if there is such a group of dedicated quilter ladies in your area or perhaps suggest the idea to a local quilt guild perhaps to start a group like this. It is such a caring sharing way to use your quilting hobby.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:51 PM

Many churches have quilting groups who make quilts for charity or disasters like a house fire. Their funds are limited & your donation would be appreciated, especially yardage (really, scraps they have enough). A family donated their Mother’s bitty scraps to our church group, most got bagged in quart bags and taken to the “Free” table at Quilt Guild. They were gone in a flash. Someone can use what you don’t need. Thrift shops would be my last choice unless the shop benefits a great cause (Hospice, cancer, etc).
Old 03-01-2019, 02:03 PM

Recently I heard of a quilter who downsized by making Dozens of pillowcases from her stash and donating them to a “less than affluent” nursing home. Residents were thrilled to go to bed with something new.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-01-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-01-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Recently I heard of a quilter who downsized by making Dozens of pillowcases from her stash and donating them to a “less than affluent” nursing home. Residents were thrilled to go to bed with something new.
I love love this idea! Thank you!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-01-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Our Women on Mission group at church do this too. It's rewarding to us that participate and it lets the person know they are never alone and others are praying for them.
Originally Posted by Sandrea View Post
I wish you could find a group of ladies like some in one of our local churches here. They call themselves "Prayers and Squares Group". With donated fabrics, they sew squares into small lap quilts and use a yarn tie through the center of each square to tie it together. Then, When someone submits a name, to the church, of a member or friend who is facing surgery or has cancer or other illnesses and in need of comforting prayers, then during the church service, the quilt is passed around from person to person, each taking just a few seconds to say a short prayer while they tie a knot in the yarn tie, and pass to the next person to pray and tie a knot, for the person in need of prayers. The recipient of the quilt then feels the love and comfort from all the prayers that were said in all the tied knots on the quilt. You might check to see if there is such a group of dedicated quilter ladies in your area or perhaps suggest the idea to a local quilt guild perhaps to start a group like this. It is such a caring sharing way to use your quilting hobby.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Check at the Ag center in St. Augustine about the quilt guild that meets there, and there is a 4 H group there also. They might like to have some of your fabric.