Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All I Want For Christmas >

All I Want For Christmas

All I Want For Christmas

Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 PM

I solved my problem this year two ways. My sister has a friend that works in a quilt shop, and also has a longarm. I happened to come across a picture (it was on facebook) of a quilt she was working on which was a thangles project. I sent her a message about how much I liked it and she replied that she would send the thangles package home with my sister when she came to visit. She sent another message after my sister did visit to say that she would be happy to give me tips when I started it....that was 3 months ago and my sister hasn't handed it over or mentioned a word so I am pretty sure I am getting it for christmas.
My lqs has a gift registry and when anyone asks for a wish list I just send them to the lqs and its easy for them.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 AM

One of my daughters knows that I love gift certificates and that is what she always gets for me (plus a couple of Chunky candy bars :mrgreen:...yum yum ).A gift certificate is like getting a present twice....once when you open the present and 2nd is when you get to spend it.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Oh...ya'll are really funny...I'll volunteer to work in that fabric store!!! I get paid in fabric, right????? :lol:

I've solved it....I just tell DH that I'm gonna go shopping...I go on line, load up my cart and then holler at him to come click the button when it says buy now.....he thinks he did it then....we're both happy :lol: :lol: When it comes, I hand him the box, he wraps it and then I get to see it "in person" for the first time when I unwrap...still fun... :lol:
Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

Your very clever.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-59553.gif  
Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 AM

I have the website for you! Whenever I want a quilting book or a book to read with quilting as a theme and the library doesn't have it I go to www.paperbackswap.com. This is such a great site and you sign up by just listing a hand full of books you would be willing to swap (send to someone in the mail) and they give you credits. Then everytime someone requests one of your books you send it out and get a credit. I use my credits for quilt pattern books and regular books that aren't available at library. If someone has them you get a message right away, if no one has one listed it goes in your wish list and you get an email when it gets posted by someone. I have gotten several books and pattern books over the years on this site.....Love it! :thumbup:
Old 12-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
I have been a quilting addict now for over ten years (as an amateur you understand) so when my children ask me what I want for Christmas, why do they raise their eyebrows and pull faces when I say, a couple of fat quarters or some fancy threads would be nice? They then go away and spend oodles of cash on something that they consider to be what I need. I don't want them to spend loads on me, but I really really would love a few surprise FQs or a a selection of fusibles, or other fancy notion that we quilters can never have enough of. I feel like sending out a "wish List" to each of them, but then they will just add it to whatever they have already decided upon, so doubling the expense. It is so exasperating!!!

This is me in a nut shell! Every year I am asked, and every year I say the same. Just material or if you don't want to do that , then gift certificates. Last year my daughter gave me a gift certificate to Belks :shock: Said she did this so I couldn't spend it on more material. Everyone thinks I am hard to buy for, but the truth is I am soooooooo easy, I can be bought with just a few FQ LOL. DH did make me up a box of little sewing things, and it was so much fun to open. We, as quilters, have our priorities in order, I think. Don't spend money on me a foot soaker thingy, which I got one year, or on expensive sweaters, which since starting menopause I can't wear, just give me quilty stuff!!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 AM

The wonderful owner of my LQS keeps a notebook and we can write down items on a "wish list". My children and my sister love to go there and pick out things for me. I always make quite a long list so that I'm still surprised by what I received!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

i asked for fabric to make more scrappies but i think i'm getting nothing. from hubby anyways :thumbdown:
Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM

OMG---I am not the only one!!!!! I gave up years ago asking for sewing and quilting stuff. I do have to admit that my husband did buy me a steam press one year (because he thought I could use it) and a starter embroidery machine (only does 4 x 4 sizes) but I had to state that I would return anything else. My son finally got it but that is because he is a quilter too. My daughter still doesn't. But you are right, they want stuff for their hobbies; golf, movies, fishing, video games, etc. So I just let them get whatever and go buy what I want the rest of the year.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Heeeheeehheee...I'm gonna drag my DH to the LQS tomorrow...I've got to buy for the IRR and I'm gonna get some stuff for my Jane...now...he can feel free to just pick up any old thing to add as a stocking stuffer.... :wink: Oh yeah...I'm gonna have a nice Christmas :lol: :lol: :wink: