Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All I Want For Christmas >

All I Want For Christmas

All I Want For Christmas

Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I kept telling the kids and DH I wanted fabric, scissors, good thread, rulers, and I get houseshoes, robes, and gloves. :? So I buy myself a present(s). I wrap it and put to me from me. Everyone sees how excited I am opening my gift to me and it's about to sink in that I really do want quilting stuff. 8-)
Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
All I want is my own fabric shop!! Is that asking too much?
DH says I already have one, but I won't sell anything. :lol:
Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM

My children have finally got the message. I don't need or want anything else for the house. Hubby always got me what I wanted as he knew that sewing made me happy. today I asked my DD and SIL for new pizza boxes to keep my BOMs in. They are poor and broke and theyt smiled widely as SIL said sure, I can do that. I don't eat pizza so never go to pizza parlors. Great gift, pizza boxes and just what I need and want.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
As far as Santa I hope I get my Red Ryder BB gun!!! :mrgreen:
Sorry, NO! You'll shoot your eye out. lol

I don't celebrate Christmas so presents is never an issue with me.
I "share" my story of fabric obsession and those who craft or quilt "get" me, the others seem amused and I am glad to give them something to chuckle about. If anyone rolls their eyes or gets critical, they get the wrath of MQ. lol

A while ago, I learned a very valuable lesson: If I want something, I need to ask for it. Translate this to the gifts. There is nothing wrong with giving out a "wish list." Kids do it for Santa, why can't Mom and Dad do it for each other?

If any of you need lessons on how to behave when your loved ones do not pick from your list, let me know. That's another lesson. lol
Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Banned

Sorry, NO! You'll shoot your eye out. lol
Attached Thumbnails attachment-59814.gif  
Old 12-16-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Knot Sew
I ask for gift certificates to lqs or Joann's...i get other stuff.....they just don't get it
Same Here. What's so hard about that.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 AM

Thanks everybody for making me realize what a great husband I have. He doesn't seem like he's listening to me and then I get great gifts like quilting magazine subscriptions, scissors, quilting books, storage stuff - he really was listening. About 10 years ago when I decided I was tired of sewing on the old basic Kenmore I bought when I was in college, I told him I wanted a new machine for Christmas. He didn't go out and buy one. What he did was, unbeknownst to me, he visited a couple of dealers and came home with several brochures and DVDs of different machines. They were all high-end embroidery machines and when I protested that I just wanted a nice, basic machine that made decent buttonholes (my old one didn't make good ones) here's what he said: " When a man wants to cut down some trees in the backyard, he goes out and buys a chainsaw. He doesn't buy a cheap chainsaw; he buys the best darn chainsaw he can find even if he only plans to use it once. You sew all the time so why not but the best machine you can? Why do women always hate to spend money on themselves?"
So of course, I went out and bought the best darn chainsaw, I mean sewing machine, I could find and I loved it. I have since added 2 more machines and upgraded to the best darn serger I could find. The guy is a real keeper. Oh, and that same year he went online and bought me a large assortment (50 spools) of Isacord embroidery thread for that new machine without me even asking! And he sold his chainsaw because he doesn't use it anymore.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Pam....thats a great story and you really did get a keeper! I love his chain saw story...its sooo true I had to laugh! :lol:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Banned

Pam he is my kinda guy, and has his priorities right!!

My wife knows that if I buy something it will be the best I can get at the time, hence our washer and drier we just bought.

When we were married almost 26 years ago on our honeymoon we bought the best Kemnore washer and drier they made. (I know some honeymoon LOL)

Fast forward to this year we go to Sears and I did the same thing I told the lady I wanted the best ones that they had and $4500 later I have them in my laundry room. I told the lady that the last ones we bought lasted 25 years and I wanted to get 25 out of these, she just chuckled. :lol: :roll:

The only thing is now they do not give you a months of washing powders anymore, whats with that?!? I rode the poor sales lady for so long that she went and gave me two $50 gift cards to make up for it and when I asked her where that kept the washing powders she said they didnt sell them anymore. So then I asked her "What good are these cards for then?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Good one, Billy! I guess you can go over to the tools area and use the cards!

I don't ask for what I know I want, I get it for myself, and say thank you to others for their wonderful gifts to me, and I know they appreciate getting what they want also! We stopped doing gifts for adults! Christmas is best for the kids, which I don't have.