Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one...? >

Am I the only one...?

Am I the only one...?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM

My quilt guilds(2) participate in making quilts for wounded vets who attend the Annual Wounded Veterans Winter Sports Clinic at Snowmass Ski Resort and quite a few of the Vets are amputees with Service Dogs and we do make quilts for them. It started three years ago when we had been given some rather thin, small fleece throws and gave one to a Golden Lab wo was very interested in what was going on. She was so proud and another Vet asked for one for his dog. That started it all.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM

my dogs even have pj's coats sweaters dresse's and of course there own quilt there my babies!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Our 2 dogs (Havanese - small) are spoiled rotten too. They sleep on our bed (so I made a light weight cover to go over the quilt so they don't mess it up). In the morning the one dog jumps off early so we got him a murphy bed for the bedroom. That way if I don't want to look at a dog bed in there I just close it up and it looks like a piece of (cherry wood) furniture.

So when I saw doggie halloween embroidery designs from embroidery library I just had to get them and make a special cover for the bed. Sad but true.

Karen

Dog bed cover for halloween
[ATTACH=CONFIG]155729[/ATTACH]

Embroidered dogs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]155730[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155724.jpe   attachment-155725.jpe  
Old 01-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Redeagle, My girlfriend's first quilt was for her dog. She had some older material from her mother and learned to sew using that material. She made her second one this Fall and bought material from LQS. She's thinking of making her 3 grandchildren quilts, now. Dogs are part of our families. Eiltcoq.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 PM

I made on for my Poodle. I made it out of the next scarfs he received everytime he got his hair groomed. He just loves it. Our dog is a part of our family.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Yes, even cats and dogs need their own quilts!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by redeagle
Surely I'm not the only one to make a quilt for a pet. I have made lots of quilts for grandkids but I have one unmarried dau who has a golden retriever. It was sort of a joke. She complained that her sisters all had quilts because they had kids and she felt left out so I made a 45x45 quilt for her dog. Every a.m. she spreads the quilt out over the dog's bed and every nite the dog remakes the bed. She digs the quilt up into a pile and when the pile is to her liking she lies down with her head on the pile of quilt. Now if THAT isn't appreciation, I don't know what is! LOL
P.S My dogs don't have quilts. They use mine which is on my bed!
I've made pallets for my dogs. And I've seen Fiona rake up her pallet until it's a heap and then lay down on it. Why is beyond me.

I do sew for my pets----but don't quilt for them. Well, unless you count the car blanket I sewed together from double knit pieces for my DD's dogs
Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
Yes, even cats and dogs need their own quilts!
I crocheted pads for my sister's cats. Does that count?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
Check out my current avitar here. That's Ranger on his new quilt, when we first brought him home. In the pic I am posting are quilts for the other two. One with purple is for our old lady Beagle, Katie, then the one with red is for my pup, Harley, & yes, they love their quilts & know who's is who's. It was fun making them too, lol....
Those are SO cute!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I made these for my DD's cat & dog.
I love those!!! So adorable. :)