Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Are we related? I had to laugh when I read this post. I went into the quilt shop drooled and snooped.
When the sales lady told me the price of the basic set up , I mentioned that that same amount paid for
my daughter's undergrad degree! I was just window shopping. I came home and kissed my set up
It works for me and I am quite proficient at it, and always trying out new techniques. I have never had a
poor job. I bought my handiquiter 11 frame and use my own 20 yr old sewing machine, I am in heaven.
I started with this set up last July have $250 invested and I am on quilt #14!! Thanks for posting we know we are not
alone!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Not interested only because i can`t afford one and two don`t have the room...BUT , If I was rich...i wouldn`t think twice about it...lol
Originally Posted by deedum View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM

I prefer to spend time piecing and giving my friend the quilting work. LA take too much space and moola...lol.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Montana Quilter View Post
So just out of curiosity how much do longarms cost??
The price of a small car or down payment on a house.
peace
Old 03-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
I quilt for fun. Spending alot of money on a LA and learning to use it, dealing with repairs, dedicating the space to it, would take the fun out of it for me personally. However, there is a quilt shop in NJ, near Philadelphia where I plan to eventually try a machine on some quilts for fun.
That's funny, I quilt for fun, too. I got one and have had a blast learning, one minor repair my hubby handled, stuck it in the basement now called the "quilting cave" and it will pay for itself with all the tops I have. Also my back and shoulders aren't killing me from using the domestic. Love hand quilting, but it takes forever and I have almost 100 quilt tops (from years of teaching...) It isn't for everyone. At first I just thought I should try it so I can give an educated response when a student asked me about them. Don't feel bad. My friend still does one big quilt by hand every year.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM

I don't want one either. I probably don't have the talent to use one properly. I will just leave that for the pros.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
QM
Power Poster

I don't have the space for one. My guild has one but I am not physically able to use it, so I use my Janome or get a guild sister to quilt for me. I agree that the cost is prohibative and not justified unless you are doing lots of quilting. When I was able to use my guild's LA, I enjoyed doing FMQ on it, but I found it easier to do half the borders on my Janome anyway. I am a bit of a control freak, so I prefer to do everything myself, anyway. I don't like the LA set up, but I think it is a bit easier than pin basting and more accurate. BTW, for those who are undecided, LAs are very fiddly and often require adjustment. It is possible to get factory reconditioned used machines from the manufacturers, but no lessons come with them.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 AM

Well, I have to say that I went through all 25 pages of this. I really want a LA. Maybe a used one, doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles. I also do hand quilting on my quilts which is why I don't make many of them. The LA's are very big (but some not as big as others) and I would have to put it in my dining room. Maybe against the wall and move the table out. Not sure if I want it in DR or if I would like to LA quilt for others to help pay for it. This thread has been very interesting.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 AM

I would never say never (I've eaten my words too many times for that! lol) But I have a very dear friend that does my long arm quilting for me. She does fabulous work. I babysit her puppies for her in exchange for quilting dollars. It's a win/win. I just want to be able to free motion quilt on my sewing machine.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 AM

lol I love this thread.....I just want to be able to quilt my quilts and get the most out it. The part of the long arm concept that I love is the frame and not having to baste and sandwich a quilt on my table with 500 safety pins. I do mine alone so it's a bore fest. I don't want to quilt for a business just do mine less fighting. That being said that is a dream! I will do with my little $200 brother and use what I got lol