Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I forgot to mention- who needs a LA when we have Charismah??? hee hee and many others.
I never thought that someone finishing my quilt takes away from saying "I made it". Charismah did one of mine and I feel like I'm getting a hug from her every time I use it :)
It's my quilt- nobody else gets it haha :D
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 AM

I bought a gently used HQ 16 a year ago.....love it. Has been a real learning curve....so different from DSM. AT $5,000....to me it didn't seem so much more than the $3,500 sewing/embroidery machine that I purchased 10 years ago. Probably cost a lot more than that now. I love being able to just go and quilt my quilt top as soon as I finish it and not have to wait months for it from a long-arm quilter. Would never do it as a business....as I have to limit my time quilting, because of health issues. Only work an hour or two at a time. But, it's certainly better on me than trying to shove the quilts through my regular sewing machine....can't do that.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 AM

Each of us has different needs and different goals when it comes to quilting. Some like the look and feel of hand quilting and have the patience and the time to do it. I love it too but my hands can no longer cope with the stresses of hand quilting. The introduction of the Longarm into my home has been both a learning curve of some magnitude, but I have now completed 11 quilts which I am very happy with and I did not pay a LAer the $1000 or more that I would have spent. I tried hard to do FMQ on the small sewing machine and I did pretty well (over 30 quilts). LArge quilts were always problematic. There is no comparison with the results on the LA. I like the fact that I can do BIG quilts with little stress and the results are super. Glad I bought the LA. Glad, Glad GLAD!!!! I know it will pay for itself.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 AM

my daughter and I went half on a long arm-we have never regretted it for one moment.I do not aggressively seek out work and just by doing a few quilts for others and the completed quilts I sold in 2 yrs has almost pd for my half.that was not my goal-I just wanted to do it myself.She has become a very artistic quilter and loves to do custom quilts for others.the main thing with a long arm is having room and patience to learn. so if you think you may like one-try as many as you can before buying one.our intent was to have fun and quilt-but if you can make a little money along the way that is great
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM

My best quilting buddy & I have rented the LA at LQS to do laps to king size. The LQS had used frame & machine they were selling for a customer. My friend bought it for $1000. After resolving tension issues, etc, it took me just a couple hours to FMQ both lap sized quilts(one stippled, the other swirls). I LOVE IT!!!! Both my friend & LQS are both 1 1/2 hours away. Tomorrow I am going to meet (hopefully) my own used LA. DH is going also & says we can use one of our bedrooms. :))))) I think I will (start and) FINISH more quilts with it.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I have no desire for a longarm. I enjoy hand quilting my quilts.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM

I tried them out at the shows, biggest problem for me? they go way TOO FAST!!!! I sew slowly, have my machinjes set below half speed, and the LAQM's go way way way too fast for me, they scare me to death, so does my serger, that's why I have only made to nighties on it. Nope I like slow and steady, I'll stick to my home machines, thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM

I don't want to quilt for others. Too stressful and would take all the fun out of it. I have a very short-armed set up and hate it. I have since the day I had it set up. I wasn't paying any attention to how much quilting space I had...3 1/2"!!!! I should have taken it back and got my money back but I didn't. Now I"m looking at the 18" Tin Lizzies. One of the quilt shops near me carries them. I would love the Gammel set up but know I can't afford one of them.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM

have any of you gone to a sewing store where you rent the LA? they teach you how to use the machine & then you do your own quilt. they charge by size of quilt
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by joycet
I don't want to quilt for others. Too stressful and would take all the fun out of it. I have a very short-armed set up and hate it. I have since the day I had it set up. I wasn't paying any attention to how much quilting space I had...3 1/2"!!!! I should have taken it back and got my money back but I didn't. Now I"m looking at the 18" Tin Lizzies. One of the quilt shops near me carries them. I would love the Gammel set up but know I can't afford one of them.
I purchased a Tin Lizzie 18LS in March and I love it! Prior to that I had a Pfaff grand quilter on inspira frame. The largest design I dared do was 4.5" or I wouldn't have enough space as I got to the end of the quilt. I love Lizzie. I have quilted 6 quilts since I got her ... from crib size to queen size. I don't quilt for others - just myself. I want to enjoy what I'm doing, and if I were doing it for others I think I would stress too much. :)

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)