Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 AM

I never thought I would even have any interest. I'm a hand quilter. But when I saw a sturdy vintage machine and frame for a reasonable price, I did buy it. It is, however in the attic, where it's too hot to quilt right now. I do look forward to learning how to use it better - only quilted on it once! I've said "never" many times and eaten my words later!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 AM

Unless I find a rich old man that likes older women I will never be able to afford one and since I have just finally mastered the DVD I suspect it would be over my head. My DH was an engineer and he did all of the mechanical things except the sewing so I am having to learn a lot since he passed.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 AM

After paying the price to have several quilts LA'd for me, I began thinking about how to do it for myself. When I received some unexpected $$, and seeing a used mid-arm for a reasonable price, I took the plunge. I have only used the mid-arm for 4 quilts so far, and realize I have a long way practice wise. However, I am learning and I get a real sense of accomplishment from finishing my quilts myself.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 AM

I was like you -- never thought I'd spend the money. Even figured out how many quilts I'd have to do for myself to get it paid for....NOOOOO!!!! WELL, a friend decided to move to Arizona and asked me to babysit his. :) :) I'm HOOKED! I love figuring out what design to do and playing on my TOY! Yes, expensive --- but I've always been frugal, never had much in my life and and and -- yeah, searching for reasons to have paid that much....:) Come to think of it -- DH paid $8000 for a new boat .......yeah, I can buy me a machine that cost $9000. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 AM

One would be nice, but the cost would make it necessary to quilt for pay, and I don't want to do that.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Nope - I don't want one - don't have room for one...and how could Charisma and the other talented quilters survive if we all had them????

Here is a link to Leah Day's site - you can do it all on a domestic machine - at least she does!
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 AM

There is absolutely no place to put a long arm in my small house. I used to send out about 6 to 8 full size quilts a year to a LA quilter but she raised her prices and even for a simple meander it was too expensive for me. I searched and searched for a simple machine that I could set up at the table that would have a large enough harp to accommodate a full size quilt. I found a Brother pq1500s on line that had a full two inches all around with an automatic thread cutter and heavier motor. I paid $600 for it and it has already paid for it's self in that I have done ten quilts. It is an industrial machine, it only does straight stitch or free motion. That is fine as I have a main machine that has all the bells an whistles. So now it is stored at the end of my cutting table and I can power through my UFO's once or twice a year without having to schlep boxes to UPS store or pay postage coming and going. That is my solution and I am happy with it.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 AM

I just bought a LA. I used to rent one at the LQS near my old home. I have seen some lovely quilts done by others, but I prefer to do it from beginning to end and now we have moved to a home that has enough room for one.

I tried several times to quilt on my home machine and took some classes with several great teachers, but I make larger quilts and pushing the fabic through the machine, even with a smaller one, was frustrating.

As for everything, it's what works for you.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM

To Kathie who bought the Sweet Sixteen- I am so curious about how that is working out for you. I do all my quilting on my domestic short arm and love doing it, but the issues with trying to get all the bulk through the small throat space drives me crazy! I keep looking at the SS sitdown and it seems llike the perfect solution. It is far less expensive than the long arms with frames, but I worry that I will invest $5000 and turn out wishing that I had just really bitten the bullet and gone with a long arm. Would you tell me what you love about your SS sitdown and what you dont?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
I can't afford it, don't have room for it, and don't hold interest in one area long enough to justify it. I'm happy with my current equipment.
Same here.