Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 AM

No you are not. I use my Pfaff 7570 to quilt my quilts. Not embroidery but free motion quilting.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM

I have thought about getting one, but I'm fairly comfortable doing my own fmq on my Viking machine. Right now I can't think of spending that much money for a long arm machine. I do have friends that have them and a business to go along with them. Another friend has one and rarely uses it, so she's offered the use of it to me for any quilts I want to do on it. That's such a generous offer I should take her up on it one of these days.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM

I could never justify spending that kind of money unless planned to go into business. I just quilt for fun and relaxation.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 AM

I can't imagine any quilter NOT wanting one, but money, space and ability are more than likely enough to dull the appetite for most people.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Hee, hee, hee. I scrounge around to get cotton shirts @ 25 cents then pay thousands for a machine to quilt the resulting top. Hee, hee, hee.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:49 AM

I just bought a HQ18 Avante ProStitcher and it's a beauty. It would take less than 10 quilts to the LA'r to pay for it and I plan on making more than 10 quilts.

To each her own. :-D
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I take some of my quilts that have been done by well known professionals to show what I expect, not the design but the quality of the stitches, no tension problems, no distortion, no knots or loose thread ends and the local LAs say Oh, I can't do that. Then why do they say they can do machine quilting?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
for me it was a matter of being the one doing all the work.

i didn't want my art to be a collaborative piece - ...
I like the idea of completing the quilts myself, but can admire others who do their thing.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned

No you're not the only one. Even if I had the $$$, the cost would be pretty silly for me to spend at my age. But all the pics I've seen of the long arms look like you have to stand up to do it. That would be an impossibility for me.

But the main reason for me is I LOVE hand quilting & the peace it seems to give me - I've 'worked out" a lot of problems mentally while sitting at my quilt frame. My "uncle arthur-itis" not dictates when/how long I can quilt, & my stitches may not be what they once were when ribbons were won, but they are MY stitiches & love put in every one.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 AM

I don't have the room for one so not buying one. I have friends that have them and love them. One lets me quilt on her machine with her. We make a girls night. She does a row and I do a row. It is fun to work and catch up. I also have found from my quilt guild that I can take a class at our local store and rent time on their longarm that is set up in the store. I am investigating that option as it is close to my home.