Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 04:26 AM

I can't afford one, so no use to even think about wanting one. I also quilt all of my own on my domestic machine and have progressed to fmq. I certainly don't produce award winning designs, but I do produce hugs and kisses and squeals of delight designs. I'm a happy camper with what I have.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 AM

I also want to finish my quilt completely. It's expensive to have someone else quilt it and I feel somewhat cheated by not doing it myself. I don't really want to buy a LA myself. So the alternate is "rent" a LA and do the quilting myself. It's certainly not as fancy but I don't like heavily quilted items anyway. Have read many horror stories and don't want to experience that! When I do the work, I am responsible for the work and can do whatever I want.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:35 AM

Nooooo, your not alone. Besides the $ you need lots of room. I'm doing just fine with my Brother & Janome, thank U very much.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-22-2011, 04:36 AM

I am fortunate to have a quilt shop locally that has a longarm to rent. It has the stitch regulator and is wonderful to use. sometimes I use it just to stabilize my larger quilts so I can finish quilting them on machine at home. She charges only $16 an hour and that is for actual time on the machine....does not include set up or pre-practice time.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 AM

No interest here! I suppose if someone gave me one, I would take it and try it out. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist. I love the look of hand quilting and enjoy doing it so much I do it for others too. In fact, we built our house so that I would have room to put a big floor frame in our living area, so I would have room to quilt. My little simple quilting frame costs pennies compared to a LA machine and serves me very well.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 AM

I would love to play on one to see if I would even be intersted in getting one. but getting one will only happen if it is either given to me or I win the lottery.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:50 AM

I do not desire to buy a long arm as my budget does not allow for that at all and can not justify spending the money on one. I have been doing just fine with a regular sewing machine for many years now.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 AM

Oh, I want one! Will I ever have one? Not likely!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:55 AM

I believe the cheapest is around 5,000 and can go up in price to almost or above $10,000! I would say that is a lot of money!!!! I too would rather have the professionals quilt mine and if I do the hand quilting then I can do that here at home. :D
Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 AM

I used to send out the large quilts and did the smaller ones on my Megaquilter. The stress on my back and shoulders was considerable and so I bit the bullet and bought a Handiquilter Avante. I set it up in my sewing room on casters for greater flexibility of space and so far have completed 11 quilts which are of a much better quality than any i did on the DSM. I should have bought it 2 years ago when I first started looking. I tried to convince myself that I would not ever want one, but glad I bought it.