Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Swap Hosts

I think I'd be scared to use one, but I can see how they would make quilting a lot easier. I have a friend who lives in another state who bought one and she's been taking lessons for two years!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 AM

Took a class last spring on a long arm and know it's not for me. However, for those that quilt on them, I appreciate you more then ever. It's quite a talent and skill. I'm thankful for those who own and master them.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM

I didn't think I would ever want one either. They are expensive, take up a whole lotta room, and, and.....
I now have one after watching demos at Lancaster Quilt show. I got a floor model Viking with a Grace Frame and absolutely LOVE it. I did not get the computer. It has a stitch regulator which is WONDERFUL. I can do a simple meander on a charity quilt in an hour including mounting it on the frame. I don't plan to quilt for other people but that may also change. I will never be as good as Charisma but it sure is fun.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 AM

I don't have the money for a long arm and I hand quilt all my quilts from wall hangings to king sized.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 AM

I haven't evern mastered FMQ on my machine yet so I don't think I'd take the time to practice on a LA. I'm planning on sending quilts that are gifts out to be quilted, hand quilt anything that I feel is special and do smaller quilts. I like the long arm quilting but think hand quilting is beautiful. I love the look of the stitches on the backing side especially if it's a plain material
Old 08-22-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?
Not really interested in one either. First off I do not have the room for this large outfit and I could probably buy a nice car for the price of one. I really enjoy hand quilting so would not use it anyway. So you are not the only one.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:15 AM

I don't want one, I'm new to quilting and I want to hand stitch all my quilts. Am I crazy or what??? Probably so! But I just love the idea of making a quilt from start to finish and it was all done by my hands. I'm 54 and I've always, always, always, kept it to myself that I wanted a hand made quilt. I think I've told this story on the QB before but when I was a teenager I went to the Johns Hopkins University Spring Fair in Baltimore, MD. Back then the fair was 3-4 days long, maybe longer, and we (hippies) stayed on the campus and partied for 3 days and 3 nights. Anyhow, the last day of the fair we were walking across the campus to go home and we passed a hand stitched hexagon quilt laying in a puddle of mud, it had rained hard that day, that someone's Mom had evidently taken many, many, many hours to make. I remember thinking to myself how wonderful it would be to have a hand stitched quilt and I'm sure the Mom who made that quilt would just be horrified if she knew her son/daughter left out in the mud and was now ruined. Over the years, with work and family and all of my sons extra curricular activities, we were scout leaders and little league coaches, and Lacrosse bleacher Mom's and Dad's, I just never had the time to make one. Now, I have the time and I want one. I've fallen head over heals in love with Baltimore Album Quilts and that's what I'm planning on making....ALL hand stitched. And, I'm working on a hand stitched hexagon quilt that I've been working on for 2 years or more. Other that these two, I really don't care, for now, if I ever make another quilt in my lifetime...I'm sure I'll change my mind if I'm ever lucky enough to have a grand child but for now, these are my babies...and I love it! ! ! ! So getting back to the original question...Nope, I don't want or need a long arm.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 AM

I really don't need or want a long arm I have been quilting for years on my regular sewing machine and the bug ones I do in sections works great and when I am finished the quilt is truly mine might take me a little longer but at todays cost that is fine with me
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 AM

I hadn't even considered it until my DH started sewing. He has made over 60 tops. No way I can send them out to have them all done. So, we have decided one would be the thing to invest in. But, I will still continue to hand quilt.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 AM

I confess I want one SO BADLY! I have the space but it will be a couple of years before I have the money. No desire to do it for anyone else or make a business of it. I don't mind sending quilts out but I don't like to wait. When I "finish" a project, I want to start using it right away, not wait several weeks for the LA quilter to get around to it.