Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 AM

I love mine and have not regretted buying it just because now my quilts are completely finished by me! Both my husband and I quilt too so it was expensive to send them out. We do offer lessons and rent out time on our machine and this also means that we recoup a little of the cost of her but so much more importantly we meet other fabulous quilters when they use our LA and we have so much fun seeing their projects and seeing them complete their quilts.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 AM

I don't have the space for a frame, let alone want to stand while quilting. I purchased a Brother PQ1500s and a drop in table, love the setup.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 AM

It must be nearly 20 yrs since I started quilting.A friend mentioned his Sis did LA quilting.I hardly knew what a LA machine was, but gave him my 1st 3 for her to do.The following yr, I'd made 3 more tops,was traveling thru her state & stopped to meet her & leave the tops.
Bingo!!!!!!! Am I the only one who has a LA quilter who doesn't charge top dollar? She's planning to retire & doesn't accept new customers,but has been a blessing to me.
Other than 3 twin size for Grkids,most have been K size & she even finishes the bindings.I have arthritis & can't use a needle.
My quilts are given to family to be used,so works for me.When she does retire,will just make things I can quilt on my Bernina,like table runners,throws etc.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 AM

Well, I'm afraid if I had the money then I definitely would buy one as it eliminates so much hassle with basting and puckering and the quilts can be done far more quickly. However, the costs are double and more here and you really need to go into business to have the thing paid for.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 AM

I don't have a desire for one.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 AM

Me too, number one I do not have the room for one and the cost is prohibitive to me. I use my Janome and it works just fine for what I enjoy doing.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 AM

I'm like you, I don't desire one, I love hand quilting the finished quilt...the long arm makes it look like it was done in a factory, like you get at department stores..others like the arm long quilts..everybody has their own opinion and I understand..to much money for the long arm also..
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 AM

Well I also cannot afford a "Long Arm Machine" and the price of sending my quilts out to a Professional Quilter is also hellish expensive! So am teaching myself FMQ using my home sewing machine....it might not look all fancy and posh but I like it and hopefully will get better as time goes by.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 AM

I have no desire for a long arm either. I would like to have a machine that has a wider throat that I can sit at. I would love a Sweet Sixteen, but would never pay that kind of money for a sewing machine. I'm afraid it would turn into one of those toys I gotta have, use for a very short time and then never touch again. Too much money for that.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 AM

I my self...can say I will never buy one, nor rent one. I am just not into the feel of the quilts done on one. They do look very pretty, but they feel like a U-Haul moving blanket to me.