Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM

I have a Handiquilter Avante, not computerized, but it does have a stitch regulator. I enjoy quilting with it ( still have so so much to learn) and it makes me feel good to know I did it all myself. I got so frustrated trying to quilt on my home machine that my husband got really tired listening to me complain. We looked at used and I was ready to get a used Sweet Sixteen but he decided that with the sale that was going on it made more sense to just buy the newer, larger one. I love it and made and quilted 10 lap quilts for family Christmas gifts last year. If I wouldn't have had the longarm I never would have done them or at least wouldn't have finished them until next Christmas.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by elm
I thought the Amish didn't use electricity, so how would they have computers? Am I mis informed.
Originally Posted by Donna in Mo
Not me. I really prefer hand quilting. My daughters don't think a quilt is a quilt unless it is hand quilted. I am lucky and live in the middle of an Amish community. So I live next door to some of the best quilters. Good neighbors who are always willing to barter quilting for something I can do for them, usually computer work.
They don't have electricity, i do. I do copy work and printing for them. My DH does welding in the neighborhood. Sometimes he trades his work for me. Such a sweetie.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Love to do them by hand, so doubt I will ever get a LAQ Besides from what I see of Charismas work, I would rather send them to her, Have a couple I need to send next year to her.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Power Poster

Well I think the sticker price is very high. I just don't have the money right now and am not sure if I ever will. I do agree that hand quilted quilts are much nicer. I love their drape. However I do very little hand quilting. I just have too many quilts I still want to make. I machine quilt on my home machine the Janome 6500. I would love a long arm with an 18 inch opening and a stitch regulator. It does not have to be computerized.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by atvrider
All different prices. Mine was $38,000!
Wow!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 AM

We have an A1-- LA that my DH uses. I had no interest in learning and he did. Sooo I can do what I love & that is make tops and he can LA them. We have done quite a few for diff. Charities. Right now I have 72 tops to be quilted and 5 in the works. I agree that a LA is not for everyone. We enjoy being in the room together each working on seperate projects. Problem is......he has so little time at home.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 AM

While I have seen many beautiful quilts done on a longarm I am just not interested. I am not physically capable of standing long enough to use one. The only machine quilting I do is basc grid with a decorative stitch that is just enough to hold together the many Linus quilts I make. When it comes to things for myself or appreciative recipients I handquilt.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM

I don't want one
For the number of times I'd use it, I couldn't see spending that much (Really, shouldn't it come with 4 wheels and a steering wheel at that price?)
I could make room for it, but I don't want to give up that much of my house to house it
Since my car accident (brain injury) 'new' things confuse me. (It's hard to explain but if my washing machine ever breaks, I'm going to have a heck of a time with a new one)
I can't see myself ever even sending a quilt out to a LA. I've seen some absolutely beautiful work, but there's something in me that just needs to finish my own project, my way

You know, I was thinking about what I said, about doing it myself, my way, and got to thinking. I have a few oak trees in the yard that I grew from acorns. Same thing, part of the satisfaction is doing it myself
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

If I win the lottery tomorrow, that will be on the top of my list. I would want one with all the bells and whistles and a room to put it in. Oh and also a personal trainer to help me learn how to use it....and a computer system to stitch by itself...A girl can dream!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 PM

If I won the lotto, I still wouldn't want one. Mainly because I don't have the time, or desire. Hard to find time to do what I do! Got a case of laziness or something this week and have done nothing. I can't justify that.