Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 AM

I was salivating over getting a longarm, but knew that if I got one I would feel pressured to use it all the time in order to justify the cost. My husband was encouraging me to go ahead and get it.

His reasoning..."I have tractors, plows, discs, cultivators, wagons, semis, and all the stuff needed to farm. I have a $150,000 combine that only gets used 2 months out of the year, but it is all part of the equipment needed to farm. The longarm is the same way...when you need it you need it."

Love his reasoning!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:23 AM

You are not alone. I have no desire to own a Long Arm Machine. I've seen them at the International Quilt Show here in Houston and they are gawky, extremely large and too expensive. Besides, with everything going mechanical, it takes away the real meaning of "Handmade". I began quilting in 1979. I enjoy handwork of any kind but my hand quilting gives me a feeling of true comfort. I think I was born in the wrong century.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Charming
Do you like the snappers. I am interested in getting them but i am on a yahoo forum and a lady mentioned that they need strength and muscle to snap, so not as easy. Pls tell me your opinion. Thanks
Perhaps you could find a LAQ nearby that uses the red snappers and would let you see how easy/difficult they are to use?

I'm not a LAQ, but I recently read some messages on this board about using zippers to make it easier to load quilts on a LA machine. I just googled and found the following tutorial, though I haven't watched it. I'm sure there must be other tutorials as well as this one.

http://quiltsnkaboodle.blogspot.com/...m-leaders.html
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Love his reasoning too. :-)
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 AM

I am happy quilting on my vintage home sewing machines. I cannot justify the cost of the machine plus a new building in which to put it, and I have no desire to quilt for others. Even if I did quilt for others, I do not believe i could ever recoup the cost of the machine. (Not to mention the set up time.) Also, as a teacher, I believe that everyone can learn to quilt on a domestic machine.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 AM

As with everything else in life, it is a personal choice imo. I say if you don't want one, don't buy one, if you want one go for it. I bought mine 3 years ago and it gives me great pleasure, but it is not for everyone. We are all different and have different wants and needs.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm one that would love to have a long or mid arm with a frame. I tested the sitdown Sweet 16 at our local quilt shop and loved it. But, the cost & the fact that you still have to baste was a turn off for me. I keep looking for a good used mid arm with frame, but for right now am happy to use my home sewing machine.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
I can't afford it, don't have room for it, and don't hold interest in one area long enough to justify it. I'm happy with my current equipment.
That makes 2 of us. I'd rather spend my money for fabric instead.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 AM

I would love to have a true long arm but it ain't gonna happen! Last Christmas I got the Juki TL2010Q and then for Valentines Day, I got a Grace GMQ Pro frame. As of today, it still hasn't been set up, but hopefully soon. (I've been saying that since Feb!)

I think that this will serve me just fine. If, in the future, things change, atleast the Grace frame will handle a machine up to 18 inches. In the meantime, I have the Juki set up for FMQ. And I didn't have to spend the big bucks for it, and was able to break it into 2 purchases so it didn't *hurt* so bad.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 AM

I would like to do a lot of research, play with several-find out if it's something I'd like to do. I can't stand quilting on my DSM, hate to push it all through.

Our charity sewing group makes ~200 quilts a year, and we have 3 LA's who are trying to keep up with those of us who don't quilt. They only do them in between paid jobs so it's not like we expect them to do them all. I do have the space I think, I have the basement.

I just need to see if I want to make the investment. Who know's-it may be just as annoying as quilting on my machine and will never do it.