Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 PM

No Thank you. I will stick with my little old sewing machine.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I have no desire for one. I can quilt just fine with my DSM or by hand.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM

You are not alone, for the most part. I don't have the space for a frame, and if I got a frame I'd want one large enough to make a King. I also tried a long arm, and I didn't like the change from moving the fabric to moving the machine. I didn't even like it on the domestic machine set up on the mini frame. I like moving the fabric.

That said ... I think I would like a mid or long arm set up on a large table.

I'm also a practical person. Affording something is one thing, justifying it is another.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:00 PM

I really thought that I wanted a long arm or even a mid-arm machine. After taking a course and working on the mid-arm at my LQS that they rent out for $50 a day and spending a couple of days with my friend and her LA Gammil, I have decided that this isn't for me. It was a lot of work and I didn't even have fun. I now have a whole new appreciation for what LA'ers do. I'm sure that I would get better if I practiced but LA"ing is definately not my next career. I got myself a 1947 Singer 201 and I'm busy quilting away. All my quilts are practical ones to use so I can do these at home on my DM using SID, cross hatching or a simple meander. A Charismah I will never be!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:01 PM

I have had one for two years and never used it because I don't know how.lol Maybe one day I will. i have all the toys with it and it intimidates me.ha
Old 08-21-2011, 05:03 PM

I dont think I want one, I dont have the $$ and I dont have the space, and I think I'd be too afraid I'd break it to use it, sharet
Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Nope, a LA is absolutely not for me. I enjoy hand-quilting too much, and I am too scattered in my crafting. I might spend months working on a quilt, and then not touch it for weeks while I knit a sweater. And then I'll pick up some embroidery and do that for a few weeks. And then I'll stop crafting altogether and spend my leisure time reading for a few months. It's a huge investment (my CAR didn't even cost that much), and I'd be riddled with guilt if it sat collecting dust for months on end. Plus, my crafting budget isn't large. Even if I could afford a longarm, I'd be churning out quilts so quickly I'd be purchasing fabric all the time--thus spending even MORE money.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Nope don't want one! I'll support those that do?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM

I bought a used APQS ... something or other. I think it was the 22 inch one or so. I sold it about a year after I bought it. It's hard on your arms, shoulders and back. It took me 3 days to quilt my daughter in law's quilt and I was never so happy to sit down and do binding.

Even if I had room and money I still wouldn't get another one. I'm happy to sit down and quilt on my Janome 6600. It might be a little work to shove a queen size quilt thru it but I can also use that machine for other things and it wasn't that expensive.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?
NOPE....I have NO desire.....
Me neither. I'm contented to FMQ on my domestic machine and/or hand quilt so a LA would not be a good investment for me