Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann >

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

"You're the fifth person today who has asked for that, I'm sorry we don't stock it anymore, there's no demand for it"

If there is no demand for it then why in heavens did 5 people asked for it.

[/quote]
Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by butterflywing
... they started making fabric out-of-country for lower prices, but never lowered the prices here...
I'd dearly love to know if the manufacturers ever ASKED the quilters / quilt shop owners (and I don't mean chain store buyers) what they would like. As in... many of the fabrics are a lot thinner than they used to be. Once upon a time I asked the folks at Cranston how much more it would cost, at the wholesale price level, to print their designs on, say, a beefy 60x60 rather than the thinner greige goods that the chain stores demanded. And the answer was about a dime. Shoot. Even if that raised the retail prices by 25 cents / yard, it would have been worth it, if they'd asked me.

My suspicion is that this was driven, either by us consumers always looking for the "deal", not thinking of the long-term cost... or by the chain store buyers, looking out for their bottom line no matter what (maybe to please their shareholders)?

And I worry about what it all means, for my kids. (A college degree is great, but you can't outsource the plumber and the auto mechanic.)

Hmmmm...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Well, it happens here in Montreal as well..I went to a fabric store and they had an assortment of wallpaper borders on sale...end lots...and I thought I would pick up some because they were only 2 for 75 cents....so I picked up 8......I got to the cash and the girl at the cashier said she didnt know what the price was - I told her that the price was written on the box where the borders where....2 for 75 cents..and she just looked at me with a blank face - I asked her what was wrong - so I asked if she undertood the price - 2 for 75 cents - she said 'yes, I know that they are 2 for 75 cents but you bought 8'..I said yes - whats the problem with that - she said well I dont know how to calculate that when it,s 2 for 75 cents and you have 8..I said what about we separate them in twos on the counter - which I did - and then showed her that there were 4 groups of 2 - and that would be 75 cents each group of 2 x 4 groups, etc. etc...and she said to me 'I have a university degree but I never was good in math'..I though I would crumble at the counter...I couldnt wait to get out of there....that scared me......
But afterwards, the fustration wore of and I got such a kick out of it..I did get everything for the right price but they should have paid me a half hours wages for working at the store.. 'smile'
Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by renee765
The sign said Quilting Notions 50% off. The girl at the checkout wouldn't take the 50% off because the needle package did not say 'notions' anywhere on it.
Are there ANY Notions that say "Notions" on them? I guess that sale was a smashing success.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MCH
Just remember, we vote with our dollars. For the last 40 years we've voted for cheap...and that's what we have. If cheap means outsourced, then we voted for that, too. Americans, by how they've spent their dollars for the last several years have voted to have their econonmy outsourced.
Before I knew better, I ordered some threads online and it was a "good deal" (not too good to be true though). When the thread finally got there it was cheap sh** made in China. Nowhere did it say "made in China" anywhere on the ad.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by bearisgray
GRRRRRR

I would not be amused - and I would be very busy contacting Jo-Ann's headquarters.
bear, if i had a nickel for every time i have contacted joanns, i could buy joanns. they give me a sympathetic line about how sorry they are about my experience, and an upper manager will get back to me for a more detailed explanation of exactly what happened. have you heard from him? neither have i. in my joanns, after i spent over $200 for customer's fabrics and notions, i had to use the lady's. they actually told me, THEY HAD NO BATHROOMS. when i questioned that, they adamantly denied having one.
they told me to use the one all the way down at the other end of the mall belonging to a muscleman's grill, right next to a men's gym. not. i now drive 40 minutes each way to shop somewhere else instead of 5 minutes each way to go to joanns.

that is so funny, thats what they tell us at mine joanns to!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deeds
Thank you. I though this was just a UK problem.

I went into a store today and asked for a particular item, the sales assistant replied ....

"You're the fifth person today who has asked for that, I'm sorry we don't stock it anymore, there's no demand for it"

All I can say to that is :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The best suggestion I can make here is that we need to all write to JoAnn's corporate HQ and complain.

Next step? SHOP LOCALLY! (and this is for EVERY purchase you need to make!) Just remember that if you are keeping your neighbor employed, he's not on the welfare rolls ....

Just a little bit to think about........
Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 AM

I must have the only JoAnn's in the world then! MY girls know everything. They are very helpful. Sometimes I go brain-dead and just can't, for the life of me, pick out a backing or a binding and they come up with the best ideas. They are quilters. It is a nice little store, not the big one where they sell everything. It is just a little store. I know the people, I know where everything is and they are just the nicest people. And I will tell you where it is - it is in the Midway Shopping Center in St. Paul, MInnesota. So many quilt shops around our neck of the woods have closed down and good old Midway JoAnn's just keeps a'pluggin' along! Must be the help. I have never, ever had a problem. I have been to other JoAnn's and didn't like them, probably because they were too big. And probably because their help didn't know anything! I am truly sorry you had to go through all that for batting. I honestly don't think some of the clerks give a rip (to coin a phrase) about any of the fabric, batting, sewing machines, rulers, anything. They are there to make money and that's all they care about. Ok, I have vented my spleen and I feel better. Now I am going to go and pin a quilt together and get ready to hand quilt it. It's a baby quilt, but what you have to go through to get it ready to quilt. I get the top all nice and flat, pin it down, turn it over and it is all verschmutzt (messy)! Unpin, re-lay, repin! And besides all that we are going to have some beautiful weather today - in the 60's hopefully and we have a clump of paper birches that are about 40 years old and have more leaves on those trees than the whole city of St. Paul. We will get those raked up and then we should be pretty well done. We have a neighbor who bought 3 loads of 1/2 horse and 1/2 cow manure and will be shoveling some of it on our gardens. Beautiful garden to look forward to, eh? Edie

Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM

I have to defend our JoAnn's here in Waco, TX. very friendly, and helpful. The Hancock's here closed several years ago, so they are the only store selling fabrics, etc . We do have a hobby lobby, but not open on Sundays which is one of the days I mainly shop.
Anyway our Joann's will give you the coupon even if you didn't bring it in at least they do for me! :) :-) :D
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM

Location: keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return

My JA isn't too bad, it's my LQS I have to watch out for. How sad is that?! I am working on a Dear Jane quilt using only pink and brown 1800's repro fabrics. When I asked the gal there if they had any of this kind of fabric she said "not really, but we just tell people use any of our fabrics since they look about the same." She then proceeded to take me to the 1930's section for a nice pink. :roll: