Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Quilting Related New Year's Resolution? >

Any Quilting Related New Year's Resolution?

Any Quilting Related New Year's Resolution?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by garysgal
Originally Posted by Ps 150
Well, I'm keeping to my resolution to try new techniques. I've just done two blocks of reverse applique. One with traditional hand stitching and one with satin stitch applique. Yay!
sounds good! what is reverse applique? Is it hard?
I thought it would be but it's really not that hard. I found a few tutorials for it but they just confused me. I found a few pics that showed me. What you do is take your background fabric and applique fabric and layer them with the applique fabric on bottom with the right side up and then the background fabric on top of the applique fabric with right side up. Then, pin the applique template to the top of the background fabric (or trace around it). Baste 5/16" around the outside of the template. Then, carefully trim the background fabric, 1/4" away from the INSIDE of the applique tracing, leaving the applique fabric exposed. Clip the curves and then gently turn under and handstich so that the applique is actually in the back. When finished, remove the basting threads.
thank you-you explained that very well. I am going to give it a try. It sounds a little easier than the other way.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 PM

I have been sewing in my downstairs family room but since I have a craft room and do not craft anymore I have rearranged it and moved all my sewing into it and organized all my fabric (even found lots of flannel that I forgot I had purchased) and am ready to sew now.
I have two quilts to finish for graduating grandchildren this next spring and then I want to play, play, play and just try things.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 AM

finish UFOs .
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM

How many UFO's do you have ????
Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 AM

Organize, organize, organize so I know what I have. It's hard to use your stash when it is all over the place in no kind of order.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 AM

Over the past few years I relized that my Grnadmother loved to do hand sewing, quilting and everything fabric.
I have tarted my own collection of sewing machines and fabric. I consider myself just a begineer and have a few projects started. Since I have ten Grandies of my own now, I want to teach them to love fabrics too, since my Grandmother really did not teach me to sew (basics of crochet tho.) So my resolution is to spend more time teaching the oldest Grandaughter to quilt this year, she is 12 and wants to design clothes. I have not made any resolutions this year, I think that this one is a good start. Anyone else?
I'd love to do some charity quilts too! :D Debbie
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

Our guild has a "Finishing Bee" club. Those who join will each make a list of the 10 UFOs to work on this year, and contribute one fat quarter to join the club. The group leader keeps track of our progress. If we do not get that month's project done in time, we owe her another fat quarter for the pot. If we do finish each month's project, our name goes in the drawing for a stack of fat quarters given away at our December social. We are just starting our third year of this, and it has been a great motivator! I love my guild!

http://www.hebervalleyquilters.com/guild-guide.php
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 AM

What a really interesting and fun way to finish UFO's. I want to have a quilt quild like YOURS! Thanks for sharing!
Debbie :)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 AM

I am throwing out a challenge to my guild this month, but will try it here first. We all seem to be saying finish UFO's. . .so I challenge you to finish 6 projects this year, and post them as they are finished!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 AM

what a great idea, I am going to "steal" it for my guild!