Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Oh wanted to add, that I love to make quilts for my grand kids and one daughter mentioned that it might be soon b4 they don't have room for more. But she IS open to my making quilts themed by season or holiday and she would love to use them to decorate the house with... now that made ME happy!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM

>

Given that she wanted the quilt and chose the pattern, my guess is that it is in the closet because she doesn't want it wrecked. This is really very common. That's why I don't do fancy quilting on stuff to be given to family. They won't use it because of the fancy quilting. My Mom has a quilt that she embroidered herself before I was born (Alaska and Hawaii still weren't states). I finished the quilt for her (just needed the binding), but now she won't put it on the bed for fear or ruining it because she has cats. It's such a shame. All that work and it has never been on a bed!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM

There are so many places to donate quilts. Find a favorite and keep quilting. You might even find it's more rewarding.
Some people just don't know what they are missing. :thumbup:
Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM

My son came home for a visit a month or two ago and said, "Mom, why don't you find a new hobby? Everyone has as many quilts as they want." I was pretty dumbstruck. Why, indeed?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
My family would love for me to make them tons of quilts but they all want king sized and that ain't happening! :)
How about one of those bed runners for those that want king size?? It looks like a table runner but longer so it fits the width of the bed and hangs down.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
There are many places that would love your quilts. Try Nursing homes, hospitals, Quilts for kids,Veterans centers, me...enjoy quilting and donate to others or keep them to snuggle with.
Please continue to make quilts and donate, donate, donate. There are many organizations that NEED them as mentioned in "quote". OH, and there is always little ole me who loves quilts and could never have too many. :lol:
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Oh, my heart tugged at your mom's quilt. Sending good thoughts your way. so Sorry on that.

Yes, I have quilted for some who don't comment once quilt was sent, but the thing is.. I do get compliments. So, a few I wish I had not sent..

So, for thoses that wish they had, but "not right now." I make mine for charity.. Children mostly.. and.. just keep my needle fingers busy.

Good post. !

Ell
Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Just remember to put labels on your quilts since they will be your legacy. (Wait til they all find out they were remembered in the will, and each and every one of them gets a quilt from you. Suddenly, they will be priceless.) I want to leave each of my loved ones a 'last hug'. *Just a thought, I have heard that Ronald McDonald charities like to get them to use in their 'houses'.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM

There are many charities who would love to have them.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Everyone please feel free to send all unwanted and unloved quilts to me. I have no one to make them for me, and at the rate I am learning....hmmmm. I am working on a small one now, and it is going to my dearest friend when I get it finally finished.

I have a hard time imagining people refusing quilts. I wish I had the ones my grandmother made. I do have one, and it has been redone twice, and now is just too fragile to use any more....but I am keeping it anyway. I have on that is a bit tattered, but I keep it on my couch and I sleep under it. My two service dogs know that they can sleep under it with me if they behave and don't try to "nest" it like they would one of their blankets. They show more respect for my quilt than some people would.

So keep me in mine for those quilts no one wants. I will give them a loving home.