Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 AM

I direct a quilting class at a senior center and we donate all of our quilts to Hospice, battered women't shelter, the mission, and the pregnancy crisis center. It is such rewarding work, no not work, fun
Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 AM

Part of my draw to quilting is trying new patterns. Consequently I make most lap quilts and throws. I keep them and along comes somebody that needs one or needs a donation. I have a quilt box and when it's full, it's time to give some away.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 AM

I find that I can't keep up with them. I am working on making quilts for the grandkids and have a couple more to do now and then on to the Great grandkids. Just doing role on the floor in front of TV for them for now. I only make them if they request them and give me hints on color. My husband loves them all and hates to see them leave the house. He is more possessive of them than me. I get one done, and on to the next one. He is wonderful about encouraging me and letting me know what he thinks. He is good about color and lets me know what doesn't look well together. Jan
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Keep making those quilts. LIke jaciqltznok said a home for them will come to you. Our area was in the recent flood in PA and I will be donating a lot of what I have there. Also make up a bunch of baby quilts and donate them to Ronald McDonald House - or any other charity. It satisfies your longing to make quilts and someone else's longing to be warm and snuggled.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM

I give my to a Nun that works with the poor/homeless and she loves giving them away. Most of my family could care less about me quilts.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 AM

No one wants mine either. I know they will when I am no longer here. . I do give some away to a loved friends.
I read somewhere that a woman stored all her quilts on the guest bed which I thought was a good idea. I did do that and then got company from out of town( which doesn't happen to often) I had to take them all off, so now we are putting them back on the guest bed.
I would just keep sewing, do it for yourself it is good therapy.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:34 AM

Not everybody likes quilts but I look at it as ok because a great majority of people like football and other sports but I don't. If someone shows a great deal of interest I will probably make a quilt for them but otherwise why force them on others if they don't like them. Try to get excited about something you don't like. You might be able to fake it for a while but not forever. Make your quilts because you enjoy making them not because others will enjoy them.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 AM

I have always loved to give hand made gifts and never get a return gift. I belive they think I can make my own things. Then one Christmas my daughter gave me a framed cross stich. I couldn't tell her enough how much it means to me. Tippy2
Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 AM

my family got quilts from me whether they knew they wanted one or not. i was about to get rid of the remaining fabric that i had from my many years of sewing and i got an idea to make quilts for my family. i surprised most of them with the quilts i had made for them. i had over 45 quilts to make (as my list grew) but have only finished 17 of them. the others are still waiting for theirs.

just about everyone was excited to receive these gifts. i know many are using theirs, but whether they use them or not, my family has something specially made from me that will hopefully be with them when i no longer am.

i give the gift of quilts to family and friends because i want to. the joy for me is in making/giving it to them. everyone is not a quilt cherisher and we cannot change that, but share your quilts with someone else. i am sure there are plenty of friends or charities that would enjoy your quilts.

dont stop making them and dont hoard them, spread your joy one quilt at a time.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 AM

I wish that I could make that many so fast, and complete them too!!! I am lucky if I finish 1 or 2 a year. I seem to lose interest, or love to shop for fabric too much, spend too much time on this site, or fabshophopping. I am trying to be better. this year I have 2 almost ready.

Originally Posted by oldpiglady
I've only been into quilting for 3 1/2 yrs. When my Mom and sister found out...the first thing they told me was NOT to make anything for them! One Christmas I got brave. I made one for my sister that was very, very simple. All I did was buy fleece remnants, cut into 5" squares, and sewed them all back togther. I tied it because I didn't know what else to do. It had a flannel backing. She absolutely loved it!!! After a couple of months I was showing off another more involved top. She made sure she wasn't going to receive it... Months later, I made a modified log cabin quilt. Took it to Mom's and put it on her bed. Weeks later, my brother called asked if I could make him one just like it. So I grabbed another quilt I had finished. Cat blocks. Went to Mom's bed again, gave the first one to my brother and gave Mom the newer one. But I've been told "No more". I have made a dozen since. I promised my other brother he could have my very favorite for Christmas coming. Other than that...I keep making them and no one wants them. I find I love them so much when they are done, I just want to keep them anyway. Mom took hers off the bed because she wanted to save it. I put it back on the bed. The sad news is that now her mind is rapidly failing and she isn't even aware it is folded on the chair beside her bed. Hasn't a clue to use it. I usually just read all your posts. Have only commented a couple of times. But I so look forward to reading all the wonderful things you all have to say to each other . Just wanted to say thanks for the entertainment. Ha ha ha