Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 AM

I make them and collect them for our foster home and when the kids leave to go to another place, they take it with them. there is always places that would love them.

Cookie
Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 AM

i rescued two at a thrift store a few weeks ago. one was strangely proportioned; too long for the single fabric width. it had a bright blue brushed polyester backing, and a white/multicolored polkadotted cotton flannel top. it had been tied, was brand new, and brought to the thrift store. by the time i'd gotten it washed and dried, it had been appropriated by my hubby, who hates having his feet hang out when he's in his chair. this one needed to find him, i guess. he calls it his "balloons" quilt.

the other one i rescued, was pieced by someone who made do with what they had--they used bright, crazy cottons--some old, some new, some feed sack, some name brand, and created a bright, happy patchwork top. the backing was an old poly backed cotton bedspread, with colors/"smeared" floral design from the eighties. there had been a lot of love put into that quilt, and it, too, was hanging right in the thrift shop. it had never even been washed. this last saturday, my youngest daughter claimed it and brought it to her house, where it went right on their bed. the old comforter was reaching the end of the line, and is destined to become a dog bed. this anonymous quilt also has a happy home, and will be well loved.

sometimes, like grandma said, one man's meal is another man's poison. all of those quilts will find their home, eventually. it might not be today--it might not even be someone in the immediate family. but when someone just lights up when they see a quilt, i have a hard time saying "no", unless it is really "mine"!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 AM

My Mom was in a home & they asked me to take the quilt I'd made her.Other patients would try to grab it from her (they didn't realize what they were doing) I was also told that all linens & clothing are put thru the hottest commercial washers/dryers.So,don't think a quilt in any home will last very long & chances are,you may naver see it again.

Pocoellie quote"Before donating to a nursing home, check and make sure that if the people who get the quilts dies, and the family doesn't want the quilt, that they don't toss the quilt. That's what they do here, which is why I won't donate to the home here."

There are plenty of organizations to donate your quilts to.

If you want to do something wonderful with your quilting talent ... go to www.quiltsforkids.org. I love quilting and giving to this organization. It's such a warm feeling to know a little child somewhere who needs cuddling is enjoying my little quilts!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 AM

love your story
Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 AM

I saw my neighbor do that one day, we went to Lowe's to get some cement blocks, and she didn't want to get her CAR dirty, and she placed this beautiful old quilt down, I came unclued, she proceeded to tell me her mother made it and it was old and she could do what she wanted, I smiled and thought you will never get one of mine.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 AM

I am fortunate to have loved ones really appreciate my quilts. My daughter is my biggest fan. I have made her numerous ones and she loves wrapping up in them even in the summer. Right now I am going to finish a OBW of autumn leaves - she wanted it for this season. I named in Autumn Fallin. I have several UFO's I need to finish for family, and am so grateful for the love returned when I give them.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM

There are lots of places that can use quilts. Quilts of Valor, SD Indian Resv. needs quilts, The patches quilt shop has a school for wheel chair children in Mich. that needs wheelchair quilts appx 42x42" for the 150 students there. not baby type but teenage adult type. Fire fighters for victms and lots more places. Salvation army also. If you need more info let me know. I use to make quilts for a small Church that had lots of poor folk, they gave them out a Christmas or in a disaster. All quilts are well received usually.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 AM

You made these with love and they are special. There are nursing homes, and organizations like Project Linus who need quilts and will greatly appreciate them. Of course, you keep some too for yourself.