Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 AM

My father was into a very different craft. He took coins of all denominations and created plaques with them. He loved doing them and I just cringed at the thought of putting them up anywhere in my home. He has since gone and I have one of his plaques sitting on my wall across from my quilting machine. I love it to pieces and wish every single day I would have shown more appreciation for what he loved.

Not everyone is into quilts as we are, we see it as a complete work of love as I'm sure my Dad did. What can I say, do what you love and someone, someday will really love it.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 AM

I made oversized Lap Quilts for my two nieces who are sisters. One Neice had Ohed and Ahed over some I had made for Charity. When the Laprobes were finished, I called and she said she would come and get them (30 miles away), I held them for almost two years!!! Finally donated them to a nursing home.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 AM

I have the exact opposite problem. I have made quilts for all of my immediate family (kids, grandkids, brother and sister-in-law) and now 4 of them are on their second one because they loved their first ones to death. I'm very happy that they love their "blankies" but I'm the only one that doesn't have a quilt!!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 AM

holy cow over the 3 years i been quilting . i have kept two my first one of course and one i liked the colors in. other wise there is always a sister and a niece or in law that takes them. they love them.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 AM
JCC

Give them large "cuddle quilts" and let them be happy.
As you all know, those that do not quilt have no idea how much time and money, and thought goes into a quilt.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 AM

Here is an idea, I am starting with quilting and made just little baby one so far, send me one and I will love it for sure LOL
I would add, display them in your house and people who are visiting you and love them, may be you can make exchanges with something special they are crafting .....just an idea
Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 AM

OMG, I would love to have one someone else has made. My MIL was storing hers and would not let me have one, and she stored it and the shed's roof leaked, and now she has Alzimier's, so I went to the shed and found about 8, I was only able to save 3, the rest was rotten, I promised myself to use or give away mine. Sad, I would love to make one and swap with a friend. But I do use mine, not store them. I post my on facebook when I make one, and family begs me to sell them one, I want to enjoy the first few.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 AM

We recently went to an Octoberfest. As we were walking around, I noticed a couple of quilts hanging near this one table. I stopped to take a look at the quilt and started talking with the person behind the table. She mentioned the quilt as one donated to the rape crisis center. As we talked, she mentioned quilts are also donated to the children in some homes, where the parent(s) are arrested and put into jail, children being left in foster care. I found this to be a fantastic way to donate time helping quilt, as well as donate a quilt here and there. The children being provided with some comfort tugged at my heart. This may be a way to encourage you to keep making quilts - as you will know they will be used for a good cause, and very appreciated.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
My younger daughter has used the one I made for her 40th bday as a "puller" to move her big living room chair. Put it on the floor, put the chair on it and pulled it accross the room. AND was callous and stupid enough to do it in front of me. GRRRR! When her wedding came around I never even thought of a quilt for them. I give to those who have shown an interest in what I'm up to and just as happily bypass the others. I give and keep according to my heart...
OMG, how awful! Hope I never see my kids doing that.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 AM

I don't "usually" make quilts with a recipient in mind - somehow they seem to tell me when they are done where they are supposed to go! Very similiar to what has happended with your family.