Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Yes, the below age 30 family members do not want a homemade quilt or anything else unless it's food. LOL
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM

I'm so sorry about your Mom. Maybe she just didn't know how to say thanks or express her gratitude. When she said she wanted to save it, it makes me think of how Mama would save things (we called it saving for a rainy day). I don't know how old your Mom is but mine grew up during the depression and she always saved things instead of using them so many times. My Mama's mind eventually declined and I put pretty covers on her bed and she couldn't speak, but she gave the biggest smiles. I really hurts to see their minds decline. You and your Mom are in my prayers.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 PM

I would LOVE for someone to give me a quilt.....Hint, hint!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I'll take one! And will love it to death! I've made everyone in my close family one or two quilts each. My cousin is a quilter, a sewer, a crafter. Not one time have I EVER received a home made item from her. I have friends I've made quilts for & I've got nothing ever from them either. I feel offended but don't know why. I've made quilted jackets & purses for 2 of my quilting friends & NOTHING in return. I must have kooties or something, I can't figure it out.
Ah, my dear, get the message already. They expect you to make all of the handmade quilts and things. On the other hand, they are busy making things for their own family, or at least someone else, or perhaps not making as much as you may think. Whatever the reason, you are not on their list, which should tell you something about where you are on their list in life. If I were you, I'd start cultivating friends who were more worthy of me. As long as you're willing to "do" for them, they will be more than willing to "take" from you. You're a "giver" and they are "takers" in life. Find some other givers, and you'll have more equal relationships. And if you feel you want to give quilts away to someone who would dearly appreciate them, try hospital bound veterans, hospice patients, women's shelters, and the like. There are tons of people out there who would adore a handmade quilt.

I knocked myself out make a perfectly beautiful, Queen-sized quilt for a wedding gift. Even let the bride pick out the pattern she wanted. A year later, it sits in a closet. If she only knew the blood, sweat and tears that went into making that quilt just perfect for my favorite nephew and his new wife, and making it in a pattern they picked out, and colors they picked out, and I swear they haul it out and put it on the bed when I visit, and then it goes back in the closet. I offered a number of different possibilities, including just money, for a wedding present. They didn't have to choose a quilt. Still ticks me off, so I know how you feel. It's a special gift, and you expect some kind of -- well --- at least an acknowledgement of your hard work!

I won't go on here. I feel bad vibes ascending. That's not good. I'm going to go and meditate them away. Peace be with you, and I hope you find your answers.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I'll take one! And will love it to death! I've made everyone in my close family one or two quilts each. My cousin is a quilter, a sewer, a crafter. Not one time have I EVER received a home made item from her. I have friends I've made quilts for & I've got nothing ever from them either. I feel offended but don't know why. I've made quilted jackets & purses for 2 of my quilting friends & NOTHING in return. I must have kooties or something, I can't figure it out.
Hi I don't think that's it's the kooties. More likely it's that after they have seen the beautiful things that you have done they are probably feeling that their things aren't good enough. They also could be thinking if they gave you something you might wonder why they gave it to you. Because you do so much you probably could make it yourself. Could be that they feel they can't match what you give. No disespect intended but do you give people things so that you will receive something in return? I don't think so. I feel you give from your heart. So just let it go. God Bless BrendaK
Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 AM

My family mostly prefers coordinated "sets"....not the scrappy I work with.They do love the flannel rag quilts,used as sofa throws.
No way I'll change the colors,patterns I want to work with,so my quilts are mostly at home.Both DDs have 2 & Grkids have one each.

That's fine with me.I can look at one used as a table cover in this room,on quilt racks in the bedrm etc.They make me smile,so they're as welcome as the rain to stay right here at home.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 AM

I posted a on this board a few months ago about the same topic. My mom & sis have no interest in homemade items at all. I have learned over the last few years that I don't even talk to them about my passion. Tho it hurts at times that they have no interest I have focused on making baby quilts for charity. I know I am giving back as well as doing something I love.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:09 AM

My younger daughter has used the one I made for her 40th bday as a "puller" to move her big living room chair. Put it on the floor, put the chair on it and pulled it accross the room. AND was callous and stupid enough to do it in front of me. GRRRR! When her wedding came around I never even thought of a quilt for them. I give to those who have shown an interest in what I'm up to and just as happily bypass the others. I give and keep according to my heart...
Old 09-26-2011, 03:25 AM

Keep making quilts. There are many organizations who would love them. I make Quilts for Kids, an organization that distributes them to hospitals for kids with life threatening illnesses. There are cities that have been affected by floods, hurricanes, etc. and are accepting donations of quilts. It is very fulfilling to know some stranger is cuddled under the "love" you made. That is a hundred times better than knowing your quilt is folded on a chair not being used. I keep a stack here to be ready for donation whenever the need arises.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 AM

That's exactly how I feel about my quilts.

"I give and keep according to my heart..."