Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Mine is my very best friend so I think I can understand how you must feel. Remember that she could feel the love in the quilt you made for her while she could. :) Continue to make your quilts and bask in the joy you get from making them. :)
thank you
Old 09-25-2011, 06:43 PM

They don't want you to go through the effort of making stuff for them because they can't reciprocate. That's usually the issue unless your tastes are so incredibly different they don't gel.

My family members asked me to stop making afghans. Made sense since only my Mom and one sister seemed to use them. Quilts everybody wants, so not a problem. Keep them for yourself. Sell them on EbaY. While some ladies here are always pushing to donate quilts, feel free to make a profit on them. It will free up your space and provide you with funds to make something else. I'm making several Halloween quilts. I'll keep what I love and the others will be sold to pay for new Bernina feet and supplies.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
They don't want you to go through the effort of making stuff for them because they can't reciprocate. That's usually the issue unless your tastes are so incredibly different they don't gel.

My family members asked me to stop making afghans. Made sense since only my Mom and one sister seemed to use them. Quilts everybody wants, so not a problem. Keep them for yourself. Sell them on EbaY. While some ladies here are always pushing to donate quilts, feel free to make a profit on them. It will free up your space and provide you with funds to make something else. I'm making several Halloween quilts. I'll keep what I love and the others will be sold to pay for new Bernina feet and supplies.
never thought of ME making money on them. EBAY might be a solution. Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 06:58 PM

I have a 5 year old boy and a 7 year old girl - one or the other of them always wants what mom made, but they understand when I tell them "this one is for a little boy or girl who doesn't already have one". The local women's shelter is always very happy to receive quilts.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM

I believe you'll find the right home for them when the time is right! Keep doing it if you love it!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 PM

My DMIL told me not to make her anything -- if she wanted it she would make it herself (she was an awesome seamstress). Now she asks all the time for quilts and blankets -- different colors, patterns or textures. She is in a nursing home and they sometimes disappear and sometimes she just likes a change. Her memory is not so good, but she is always hugging one of thw quilts I made her.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 PM

I have just the opposite problem. Everybody I know wants me to make them one.They're isn't enough hours in a day for me to get to them all.Now I only do it for friends and family, and I'm still covered up, pun intended! LOL
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM

There are so many places to donate quilts. Pick a favorite and keep stitching. For instance: Project Linus, Lap quilts for rest home residents, homeless shelters, hospital NICU's, Veteran's homes, those moving into a new house who have lost a home to fire or flood, check with your church to see if the missionaries need them, maybe just a close neighbor if they like what you make. Don't get discouraged. Most people really LOVE a handmade quilt.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 PM

There are charities that are looking for quilts all the time. Just in the last week or so I've seen two posts on the board asking for quilts. One in Texas and one in Vermont. I'm sure they would love to have your help ( and quilts ).
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 PM

I would have more of my quilts laying around here and enjoying them if they didn't like my quilts and didn't ask for one. But then again, I like gifting them to family and friends.