Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:29 AM

Yep, know how that feels. I made a large quilt that my mother raved over. I had it longarm quilted and gave it to her for Christmas. It lasted about a month on her bed and now has been in the closet for 8 years.
None of my family appreciate quilting so I don't talk about it around them. I'm fine with it because I LOVE it and glad I make them.
Hang in there!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 AM

My children 'keep score' regarding who has gotten them and who hasn't. I didn't realize this. I simply made one for whoever had asked for one. Luckily I'm relatively even. Just need to make a second one for my oldest to be even.

I've not been told NOT to make one for anyone. I've heard "Ewe, whose this for?" When in actuality it was supposed to be for the couple who thought a scrappy quilt was "God awful." I thought 'snots, not for you!....' I just stated for someone I knew who would appreciate it. I don't plan to make them a different quilt.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 AM

It's too bad that your family doesn't seem to appreciate and love the quilts you've made, it seems they don't know all the love and money that goes into a quilt. If they don't want any quilts and you want to continue quilting, then think about donating your beautiful quilts to homeless shelters or foster children. They don't have to be fancy, they can be tied, they will be loved.

Before donating to a nursing home, check and make sure that if the people who get the quilts dies, and the family doesn't want the quilt, that they don't toss the quilt. That's what they do here, which is why I won't donate to the home here.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 AM

I just donated a quilt to my granddaughters church for a silent auction for funds for their mission trips. It was a mystery quilt that I wasn't even crazy about. It went for a bid of $165. I was so thrilled. Money for the missions and someone valued my quilt enough to bid that high on it.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 AM

They are to expensive to 'give' to anyone. When the average quilt costs me $300 to make - I'm really not inclined to give it away.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
There are many places that would love your quilts. Try Nursing homes, hospitals, Quilts for kids,Veterans centers, me...enjoy quilting and donate to others or keep them to snuggle with.
I absolutely agree. Make quilts for charity. Many, many
quilts are needed because the quilts are given to the
patients and customers to take home. There's a tremendous
turnover, and new quilts are required constantly. Find a
local veterans' hospital and donate the quilts to it. I have
heard, however, that veterans' hospitals would prefer that
you not make quilts red, white, and blue. It is too vivid a
reminder of what the veterans went through. Find a local
children's hospital and donate to them.

Many people, unfortunately, believe that anything homemade
is inferior. That's their problem. They don't want your quilts,
don't give them to people who don't want them and give them
to people who do.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 AM

People in my family think of quilts as being "country" and that's not most people's style. They are unaware of the pretty contemporary fabric lines out there today. I tend to only make baby quilts for the new grand nieces/nephews. I have a spare bed with all my quilts stacked on it. I love it when one of my kids comes to visit and I get to look at them all over again when I take them off. I have given 3 away to family members. They display them, but don't use them. The baby quilts do get used though.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 AM

You can always send one to me?? or perhaps more?

Enjoy your quilting and quilts; its their loss. You may also consider selling some of them or donating to quilts of valor or homeless shelters, abused women or children.

delma
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 AM

Me too, I will be working on a quilt for someone an then an idea pops into my head, so I will start it not having any idea what for, and the answer always appears. I have been making quilts for a really long time an never kept one for very long until I made a keepsake running quilt out of all my marathon tee shirts. That one I kept and have it on the spare bed in my sewing room. I love to snuggle under it and remember the good old days.
Originally Posted by SharBear
I don't "usually" make quilts with a recipient in mind - somehow they seem to tell me when they are done where they are supposed to go! Very similiar to what has happended with your family.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 AM

oldpiglady: My husband's grandma said to me because I felt insecure about making my DH's family homemade gifts that when a person receives a gift made from the heart it is more special than anything else they can receive. I held onto this so tight. I love to make others gifts and if they do not appreciate it, it is their fault and loss. You gave from the heart and the Lord knows your actions.

I am with the others, if you want to give one away, I will take it and enjoy it. I have several I have made, but not received from others except from my grandma when I was 18 and got married. I still have it and it needs some help, but will never let it go.