Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 AM

Make single/throw size and give them to any number of charities. They will not only be grateful but almost beat down the door to your home to get them.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 AM

Luckily I have such a big family that I'll never have that problem. I never seem to get them done fast enough to supply everyone.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM

I love quilts... sadly don't have any, but I am working on that!

I have made one quilt, that is now owned by my ex, I have no idea if he still uses it or not, since he is now remarried. I like to think he still has it and enjoys it. (we parted on amicable terms, no major blow up, so no bad vibes associated with it)
I was with him when I made it, so he saw it from start to finish. He loved it so much that when we parted he asked if he could keep it. I think it was the only quilt he had ever owned.

Sometimes one never knows who or where something they make will end up. I say do it because you love to do it, and don't worry about who to give them to. When you decide what to do with them, it will be the right thing to do. (be it donate, gift, or sell, it is all you choice and no one else).
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 AM

If you love making them do them for charity, they would be pleased to get them and they would be loved.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 AM

Women's abuse shelters would be more than grateful for your quilts. As much as I would love to have you send them to me, I know they would love them just as much, more. I have taken items that would seem insignificant to a lot of us....skeins of yarn, pattern books, hooks, needles....and you can't believe how welcomed they were.

I also took in extra sets of dishware, cookware, etc. The woman that go there for protection usually ESCAPE from their abusive homes with little or nothing, and these things mean so much to them. So imagine how much a handmade (by hand or machine...a HEARTMADE) quilt would mean to them. It would be something to warm them inside and out.

Don't worry about your family not wanting your quilts. Take them to someone who will treasure them. You can find the shelters usually by a phone number only, because they do not want the abusers to know where the shelters are. My dh has been allowed to accompany me there after a few trips, but they made sure he was one of the good guys first.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 AM

I have made fleece blankets and donated them to my church and they give them to the homeless. I also gave some to New Hope, a shelter for Battered Women. You could do the same with your quilts and I know they would love to have them. I have never had anyone saying they don't want one
Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by San Diego Quilter
Originally Posted by quiltmau
according to my family-homemade items are cheap and therefore are not wanted. So okay-I quilt for me and to keep my mind active-I love to play with the fabrics and design blocks. And the local thrift shop loves them.
CHEAP???!!! Holy cow batman..... they obviously have NO idea how expensive this hobby actually is or how much (love) and time go into the making! :)

My problem is that everyone in my family wants one.....but only my grandkids and a few others actually USE them. I would be more flattered if someone showed me a well loved and worn remnant of what I made rather than a prestine (treasured, but unused) item folded neatly in a drawer or worse yet....in a box in the attic.
no they don't-but then I guess their loss is someone's gain and that someones else will love the quilts. And by quilting I mostly keep out if trouble!! Sort of-maybe
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 AM

I made a crazy quilt for my new grand daughter and my daughter did not want to use it as it was so nice. She hung it on a quilt rack in the babys' room. I used french knots instead of beading. My grand daughter is now 18 and in college. She will probably still hav it when she marries. I hope she uses it for her children.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 AM

At a yard sale I bought a PVC pipe quilt frame for $10. When I asked if the lady quilted she said no but her mother had. Then she went inside and came out with a beautiful quilt top (not quilted yet) for a queen size bed. She said her mother made it but died before she could quilt it. I referred the lady to our church who quilts for others but she said no she just wanted to get rid of it. I offered to pay for it but she again said no ... so I took it. There was material for points and backing in the bag with the quilt. It is light lavender and white with a big star in the center ... all the points of the star are perfect.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ally
At a yard sale I bought a PVC pipe quilt frame for $10. When I asked if the lady quilted she said no but her mother had. Then she went inside and came out with a beautiful quilt top (not quilted yet) for a queen size bed. She said her mother made it but died before she could quilt it. I referred the lady to our church who quilts for others but she said no she just wanted to get rid of it. I offered to pay for it but she again said no ... so I took it. There was material for points and backing in the bag with the quilt. It is light lavender and white with a big star in the center ... all the points of the star are perfect.
That's wonderful!!! So glad that the top was adopted by a good quilting parent. :)