Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM

To Izaquilter: Take heart. I learned long ago that once a gift leaves my hand I have no more ownership in it and cannot expect a "thank you" or feel hurt that none was offered. My brother always tells me that for every good deed I do, I receive a new star in heaven. You have lots of good karma coming your way.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM

I understand where you are coming from. I have the same problem, no one wants my quilts that I make so I do donate them to the hospital, nursing homes, woman shelter, and I love to see their face glow when they recieve them. At least I know someone is loving and using it.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 PM

according to my family-homemade items are cheap and therefore are not wanted. So okay-I quilt for me and to keep my mind active-I love to play with the fabrics and design blocks. And the local thrift shop loves them.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 PM

I had a friend who says she hates quilts and not to ever make her one. I made her an appliqued wallhanging of tea cups because of her collection and it has had a place of honor in her home for years and now she wants to know when the full size one with come. I think sometimes that just don't understand that quilts come in different sizes, shapes and patterns.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM

My home is always available to store your unwanted quilts!!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmau
according to my family-homemade items are cheap and therefore are not wanted. So okay-I quilt for me and to keep my mind active-I love to play with the fabrics and design blocks. And the local thrift shop loves them.
CHEAP???!!! Holy cow batman..... they obviously have NO idea how expensive this hobby actually is or how much (love) and time go into the making! :)

My problem is that everyone in my family wants one.....but only my grandkids and a few others actually USE them. I would be more flattered if someone showed me a well loved and worn remnant of what I made rather than a prestine (treasured, but unused) item folded neatly in a drawer or worse yet....in a box in the attic.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM

There are so many worthy organizations which would love quilt donations. To know someone who truly cherishes what you have given is a wondreful gift, to both parties.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM

My youngest has 2 queen size quilts I made and several throws. She very sweetly asked that I not make her any more just yet. She lives in an apartment in NYC and has very little storage space. I have made several more for her, but I have them stored here. She will get them when she has room.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM

I want to thank everyone for for their comments. A lot of ideas. Talked to the Mom today on the phone. Asked her where she thought her quilt was. She responded she knew it was on the chair and that she didn't ask for it in the first place. I have such an ungrateful family. One daughter has received so many from her MIL that now that her twins are 15, she doesn't need anymore.. sigh. Other daughter told me months ago...when she was still talking to me to not make her, her now husband, or GD ANY quilts. AAUUGGGHHHH! So I thank you all for supporting me. I will continue to make them because that is what I do. I absolutely LOVE it. And I spend hours reading all the posts on this site. If I can figure out how to do it....I will post some pictures. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Although I make utility quilts, not show quilts, I don't have any problem with them not being wanted. Well, I have been asked to make them larger, but that's all.