Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone with cheap sewing machine advice?

For $10 more you could get this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-Co...ndingMethod=rr

It comes with a walking foot, the darning foot for free motion quilting and the quilting guide. Those things would cost you a lot more than the $10 you'd pay.

I've had several Brothers machines and been pleased with all of them. They aren't high end machines but then again, they don't have a high end price tag either. The ones that I've had have sewn very well with very few problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    I You are going for a Brother...try Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000...4003530&sr=8-1

I purchase mine through Amazon...great price plus free shipping...

And I love, love, love, this machine

WOW. I just looked at this machine. I don't know a lot about machine but if I were in the market for one, I would sure buy this one. Sounds like a lot for your money.

I have an older ('85) model of a lower end Singer, and it still sews great seams! This machine is a workhorse!
    Hope you find one you really like! :)

I have an older ('85) model of a lower end Singer, and it still sews great seams! This machine is a workhorse!
    Hope you find one you really like! :)

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    I You are going for a Brother...try Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000...4003530&sr=8-1

I purchase mine through Amazon...great price plus free shipping...

And I love, love, love, this machine
    I just looked at the above site. There is an ES2000 for 169.00. My friend has it and paid much more than that for hers. She loves the lighted needle area!

Blog Entries
    I'm kinda sick about this....I didn't know Janome made Kenmore! I found my Janome on Sears for 100.01 less than I paid at the Janome dealer! This dealer is 60 miles from me as would be Sears. I'm wishing I'd bought a BabyLoc cuz they are 8 miles from me!!! So does BabyLock make other brands???? There is a garage sale with a Bernina on it this weekend!!

Yes,,that is the one I got

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    I want to get a new sewing machine. Something with a few more stitches and a little more options. My first machine was a

Singer Tradition 2250 Portable Sewing Machine

I am currently looking at maybe buying this one from Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50...chine/14237605

I can't afford to spend much more than 150 bucks. I love my simple little singer. It works really well. Just kind of want a little upgrade but still nothing too advanced. This machine has a bunch of great reviews. Thanks!
    Check out the Brother CS6000i at Amazon. It was selling today for $147.54 with free shipping and no sales tax. Amazon has good return policies if you follows their rules. The only thing you will need to buy extra is the 1/4" foot and they sell that also and if you order it at the same time as the machine again no shipping and no sales tax. Good luck with your decision

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I want to get a new sewing machine. Something with a few more stitches and a little more options. My first machine was a

I can't afford to spend much more than 150 bucks. I love my simple little singer. It works really well. Just kind of want a little upgrade but still nothing too advanced. This machine has a bunch of great reviews. Thanks!
    Check out the Brother CS6000i at Amazon. It was selling today for $147.54 with free shipping and no sales tax. Amazon has good return policies if you follows their rules. The only thing you will need to buy extra is the 1/4" foot and they sell that also and if you order it at the same time as the machine again no shipping and no sales tax. Good luck with your decision
    Yes I have been told several times about this one :) So far I think this is going to be the one I get. Thank you for the tip about the 1/4" foot. Since I only have a really cheapo machine now with no extra feet would that be something I should just go ahead and buy?

Lovin My Soldier, here is a web site to check out sewing machines. www.Sewingmachinesplus.com
    They have great machines.

I bought my daughter one for her birthday and I love it! It sews better than my expensive one and is easy to use.

We have one like that at our Senior Center and it has held up good. Everyone uses it and it gets some rough treatment as some of the Seniors don't really know how to use a machine.

You get what you pay for. Better to save and buy a better machine. Good used machines are a better buy than a cheap
    machine.

I have a Brother, and really love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    That machine on Amazon, i paid full price for it last year for one of my granddaughters. Cost me almost $500. with taxes etc. That is a fantastic buy at that price almost half off. It is a great machine does alot of what the more expensive machines do great stitches.
    Are you referring to the Brother CS6000i machine.

I just looked at the link you sent and with the Consumer Best Buy seal and found what I have heard - it looks good

Blog Entries
    I bought several machines on the low end...wound up taking the ones I didn't like back...I think you need to sew on them to see if you like it.
    I wound up with the brother.
    But got mine at Walmart so I could return it easily if anything was wrong.
    Now have 3 more brothers.

Babylock and Brother are very similar. I would think they are made alike, so possibly made by the same or as an under umbrella clause...................

I purchased the Brother similar to your post from Costco. I loved it, it was light enough to take anywhere, had many great stitches. I wore it out in 13 months, and there isn't anyone who works on Brothers within 120 miles. I took it back to Costco. They didn't carry it anymore, but I was given a full refund. I bought a Janome Platinum and love it!

you can check on Craigslist in your area. check general and arts and crafts and also household. Sometimes you can find a great buy at a reasonable price. Dolores

I have two cheap machines. A jenome that I got on sale for under $200. But my prize is a very cheap Brother XL3750 that I think I paid $59 for at Walmart. I bought it two years ago to use because my Jenome was out for repair. It came with all sorts of attachments including walking and quilting feet and works surprisingly well. I am just teaching myself machine quilting and thought I would need to get a better machine. But so far, my dandy little Brother is holding up just fine. My poor Jenome is just sitting there waiting for something to do.

I would buy used before I bought cheap.

Check out Overstock.com. I got a lightweight Brother XL7700 reconditioned & it sews beautifully. It's computerized. Only paid $127 for it with free shipping too.

Blog Entries

Hello

You cannot go wrong with this machine. I have a Brother and I love it. It was bought when I couldn't even afford to spend $100. It has made 5 queen size quilt tops and have quilted all but one with it. Plus it has quilted many, many lap quilts for the wounded. I would say in excessl of 200. This was over a period of 8 years. I just started having a problem with it this week. Going to take it out of its case and clean and oil it real good and see if it solves the problem.

Happy Sewing!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast