Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone with cheap sewing machine advice?

I have a brother bought from Wal-Mart & I have had no problems with it. Have had it almost 3 yrs now.

Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    I want to get a new sewing machine. Something with a few more stitches and a little more options. My first machine was a

Singer Tradition 2250 Portable Sewing Machine

I am currently looking at maybe buying this one from Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50...chine/14237605

I can't afford to spend much more than 150 bucks. I love my simple little singer. It works really well. Just kind of want a little upgrade but still nothing too advanced. This machine has a bunch of great reviews. Thanks!
    I got a flyer from Janome that has a new sewing machine, scissors and the carrying tote for just 150.00. Go to Janome.com.

Blog Entries
    The problem we hav e found with the ones from Wal Mart is if something goes wrong, they don't repair. Friend bought one, it was a singer, she has had it in the shop 2 times, still doesn't work. For what she has spent, she could have a better one. Another friend bought one and has no problems. Good thing about the LQS is that they stand behind there products and will fix if need. My old machine is a Kenmore, and it has been a GREAT machine. I love my Janome, but still use my Kenmore all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    I You are going for a Brother...try Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000...4003530&sr=8-1

I purchase mine through Amazon...great price plus free shipping...

And I love, love, love, this machine
    I have this machine.... Loved it so much, I bought one for my daughter for Christmas last year AND got another one for myself! I have used Kenmore and Singer in the past and this one far outshines them in my book. I also have the inexpensive Brother SE400 sewing/embroidery machine from Walmart. It only uses the 4"x4" hoops but that is plenty for what I want to use it for. If you spend more than $200 (or $300) - can't remember, you can get payments 12 months same as cash. That is how I bought mine.

I wouldn't want to scare you off, but I had a Brother once that was so touchy it drove me nuts! I would give any machine a good trial before laying out the cash.

Good luck?

I also got my baby Brother on Amazon and it is truly a little workhorse. I would get another if my husband wouldn't strangle me just to have. I use it for a class and take to sewing machine. I have a big Brother 1500 s that I have set up in a table and also use to quilt with on a New Joy frame.
    Never a problem with either. Love them.

I purchased the Brother Project Runway machine from WalMart and I love to use it for piecieng my quilts. It is a really light machine and the bobbin functions are very easy too. It was under 200.00!!

I purchased the Brother Project Runway machine from WalMart and I love to use it for piecieng my quilts. It is a really light machine and the bobbin functions are very easy too. It was under 200.00!!

Banned
    I just bought a Singer 4423 for $137 @ JoAnns online.
    and it will sew heavy layers of denim as well!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXHcc...eature=channel

Also has a built in serging stitch!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZMv...eature=channel

I collect antique sewing machines and would trust an older model over something cheap and new. The quilter who commented on metal parts is exactly right. The older non-computerized machines last a lifetime and are usually simple to maintain and repair. A refurbished non-computerized machine from reliable dealer would be both affordable and dependable.

Remember also that when buying from a dealer you always have a service guy in house. Also, our local dealer gives you one on one sittings on "how to" on your particular machines, new or used.

Where do you take a machine bought from WalMart if it needs repair? Ship it somewhere?

I've bought several used machines, either at thrift stores or a dealer. The last one I bought at the local Humane Society thrift store for $10.00, sews just fine, never had any problems with it. I got it serviced last year because it was getting a little loud, now it just purrs along. Definitely, I would recommend thrift stores or dealers, you'll most likely get a much better made machine for a whole lot less money.

Blog Entries
    you can find some really advanced sewing machines on ebay for good prices...sometimes an experienced machine is the way to go...I have bought 2 embroidery machines on ebay and have had no probalems...go to the ones from a dealer like Allbrands, (sometimes free shipping and Kens sewing center in Ala...they are so good and A+ place to deal with...

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-63928-1.htm

this is a good machine and you can trust a board member !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    I You are going for a Brother...try Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000...4003530&sr=8-1

I purchase mine through Amazon...great price plus free shipping...

And I love, love, love, this machine
    I too have this machine and really like it. It sews well and is very easy to operate. I got mine online at Walmart and had it shipped to my house.

Several of my quilting friends have the Brother CS-6000i which can be purchased at Walmart on line for $147. S&H is free if you pick it up at your local store. It weighs under 20lb & has many nice features for quilters

I know people like their Janomes. I had a cheaper one and I hated it. I can't recommend them. Others may feel differently and one machine does not a brand make. Just my personal experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    I have this machine. I don't use it much now because I got the Brother SQ-9000. I have never had a problem with it. I really like it. Last time I checked Overstock had them too.
    I have the SQ9000. Got it at W/M on clearance for $129. just after they closed their 'you know what' department. (:thumbdown: ). Several other board members has one too. I have no complaints. If you get one, use our search field and read my trouble shooting posts. I like mine, it has performed well. Previous to that I had the EX660. No complaints there either.
    Good luck.

I have the Brother 6000I that I bought from Amazon and I love it for sewing. Was reasonably priced also.

I have this machine and I love it. Just don't try and sew jeans on it. I used my old machine for that. It is also a Kenmore made by White and it is 34 years old. I love that machine also.

All I can say is my Brother XL 3500 died. It had mainly plastic parts. I took it to my local repair shop. The guy said it was beyond repair. (Brother does not make many if any replacement parts). So make sure this one has a lot of metal moving parts. Best place to look is in the bobbin area. K

np3
    Blog Entries
    COSTCO has a really great Brother machine for arond $150 that is called a quilter's machine. It includes the walking foot and the table extension. She LOVES it.

I have a brother that came with a walking foot, a quarter inch foot, and the quilting table just over a 150 dollars.
    I sometimes like it better than my two vikings I use it to teach my young neices to quilt. Really nice machine I had to buy all of these accessories separate for the vikings even after spending thousands of dollars

Thank you for all the great websites and buying experience that you have shared with us not so experienced newbies.

Andie

I just bought one and have not tried it yet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast