Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with cheap sewing machine advice?

go for it Brother makes a great machine I have 3 brothers, and they all work great. none cost more than 150

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    I have an older ('85) model of a lower end Singer, and it still sews great seams! This machine is a workhorse!
    Hope you find one you really like! :)
    I'm really suprised that your Singer still works, I bought one of the same vintage and it finally(thank God!) died after 1 1/2 years. It was trouble from day one.
    I replaced it with a wonderful, no attitude Bernina 1031.
    I still sew with it, had it for 18 years.

I recommend a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 or 118, they are a bit more than $150, but a much better machine that will last longer and sew better than the Wal-Mart Brother. You get dealer support + classes to teach you to use your new machine. If you're buying a new machine you need to spend $300-400 to get a decent machine.
    I also collect and use antique sewing machines and they will still be here when the plastic low end machines have bit the dust. My oldest machine is a Singer 201 that 80 yrs old and still sewing wonderfully.

I also have a Brother CS-100 that I bought on sale at Costco about 5 years ago. Love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I recommend a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 or 118, they are a bit more than $150, but a much better machine that will last longer and sew better than the Wal-Mart Brother. You get dealer support + classes to teach you to use your new machine. If you're buying a new machine you need to spend $300-400 to get a decent machine.
    I also collect and use antique sewing machines and they will still be here when the plastic low end machines have bit the dust. My oldest machine is a Singer 201 that 80 yrs old and still sewing wonderfully.
    I bought a Janome at what I thought was a reputable dealer who promised me classes, support, etc, etc and never has contacted me since I bought it. To be honest he's probably glad to be rid of me. You see, I also purchased another cheaper machine, a sewing table and the acrylic piece that goes in the table for the machine. After 2 weeks the acrylic piece had never been ordered, so he ordered and said it would be sent directly to me. Two weeks later I still didn't have it and "it must be on back order". Two weeks later I called again and guess what. It had finally come in. To his shop, 60 miles from me! So off I went to get the piece for my table. I was not a happy camper when I walked into the shop and told him what I was after, he handed it to me, and I thanked him and walked out. I've never seen or heard from him again. I've heard another customer say he was very rude to her. What ever happened to customer service? I won't go back there for machine repair, service or another machine! But I do love my machine!!

Banned
    I think Lori S. is right on with her advice. It depends on what's available where you live or nearby, of course. You can get way more for your money if you go to a dealer's store that sells higher-end machines like Bernina, and see what machines they have that have been traded in. I've bought three machines this way and they've all been checked out by the service people at the stores and repaired as needed. No issues with them at all, and one of them I still have after ten years. I gave another to a friend for her birthday and another to my daughter--no problems with those either.

Whatever you do, don't buy a machine off eBay. Lots of potential for problems that way.

Here's a website for a store here in Austin that has a list of recommended (and not!) machines: stitchlab.com.

My sewing machine repair person, dear Mr. Ruiz, says that the older metal mechanical machines are the best and in fact that's all he will work on.

Good luck! I'd love to know what you choose!

Lovin...have you ever thought of buying a good used machine?
    I have two Bernina's that I bought over the years that are fantastic machines. I just bought a 1230...took it to the Bernina dealer to have it checked out. He told me that it was a "great" machine...if I were buying it today, it would cost about $2,200. Well, I paid $400. The older machines weren't made of all plastic. Just something you might consider.

I had one of those and really enjoyed it. It got carried around a lot and finally it just kind of hung up with the needle down...got it loose, used it a while longer, it did it again. Could have been because it traveled a little rough? But, in general, I loved it. BTW...it is electronic, so don't put a magnet near it, from what I understand! Oh...the needle had several positions...moved from side to side. To get a 1/4" seam, I had to move it everytime I turned it on. I have found some great older machines in yard sales and at thrift stores...you might want to check those out first, especially an estate sale!

The advice I got when looking was do not buy a low end Singer! I had a Brother from WalMart--not impressed. I was frustrated constantly (it would freeze up) so I decided to upgrade to a computerized White. I researched it and finally bought it online from a reputable place. I should have known to return it when the needle threader came off in my hand the very FIRST time I used it. That machine was in for repair more than I used it. Oh, and it made weird noises! The threads jammed constantly, once to the point the bobbin case had to be replaced. The last time it was repaired, it cost more than the machine did new.........and after 2 weeks I had the same problem again! So I took myself down to my LQS and bought a Janome. Best thing I ever did and I'm happy with it.

Dee
    I learned to sew on a Kenmore. Lasted 26 years and finally died. I then got a 60 stitch Brother from Walmart and love it. I've had it now 5 yrs, and no trouble. Paid $179.00 for it. Its my favorite machine.

Check online for customer reviews of the companies you plan to buy from. I purchased a Singer about the beginning of the year that failed. Still within its warrenty, I contacted the Singer Company, who promptly told me how to thread it. The problem was that the machine would NOT run at all and the plug was so hot that I had to use a potholder to unplug it. It had only been plugged in for about 25 minutes. They would not even communicate with me further. I call that LOUSY customer service!

I have a Brother (4000) that I bought from a WalMart a couple of years ago. I LOVE it, it is light weight, has 40 stitches(including 3 dif. button holes), has needle down feature, needle threader, and is so very quiet!!!!!!
    I got mine for $123 then. I recomend Brother to all the beginer students that are looking for a good machine.
    I had had a New Home for over 30 years and when it died - I went looking for a replacement, and did not have a lot of $ to spend either. I am very pleased with my Brother.

I checked out Stitchlab.com and came up with STITCHLAB.BIZ I think it is the same place.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by danade
    I think Lori S. is right on with her advice. It depends on what's available where you live or nearby, of course. You can get way more for your money if you go to a dealer's store that sells higher-end machines like Bernina, and see what machines they have that have been traded in. I've bought three machines this way and they've all been checked out by the service people at the stores and repaired as needed. No issues with them at all, and one of them I still have after ten years. I gave another to a friend for her birthday and another to my daughter--no problems with those either.

Whatever you do, don't buy a machine off eBay. Lots of potential for problems that way.

Here's a website for a store here in Austin that has a list of recommended (and not!) machines: stitchlab.com.

My sewing machine repair person, dear Mr. Ruiz, says that the older metal mechanical machines are the best and in fact that's all he will work on.

Good luck! I'd love to know what you choose!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    I want to get a new sewing machine. Something with a few more stitches and a little more options. My first machine was a

Singer Tradition 2250 Portable Sewing Machine

I am currently looking at maybe buying this one from Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50...chine/14237605

I can't afford to spend much more than 150 bucks. I love my simple little singer. It works really well. Just kind of want a little upgrade but still nothing too advanced. This machine has a bunch of great reviews. Thanks!
    My regular machine is a Brother from Walmart. A few less stitches than this one, but it made a lot of clothes, dolls, quilts, and coats. No problem. Oil it as directed. Keep the lint out of the bottom and head. Just a little noisier than the fancy machine. I put mine on 'mouse pads', on my dining room table as a muffler system. Worked fine. Best of all, when I finally was able to buy a fancier one, all the attachments from the old, are compatible with the new Brother. I am nothing, if not frugal. I think you will enjoy having it. I liked it much better than my old Signature machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    I You are going for a Brother...try Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000...4003530&sr=8-1

I purchase mine through Amazon...great price plus free shipping...

And I love, love, love, this machine
    Cat people are so smart!

I got a Brother SQ9000 from Walmart. It was great ... at first. I used it for maybe 45 minutes total, over a span of 10 days, and something apparently got out of alignment. It started making clunking sounds, and destroying needles. Not just breaking them, but bending and twisting them out of shape until they snapped. :shock:

I think it was $159, and it included a TON of extras. Lots of feet, an extension table, oodles of stitches, embroidery letters, etc. It would've been an awesome deal, if the machine had worked properly.

Maybe I just got a lemon, but I returned it for a refund. :(

I looked at other machines, but couldn't find any in that same price range that I liked. The ones I looked at felt more like toys than sewing machines ... all plastic-y and cheap-feeling.

So I bought a 1940 Singer 15-91 off eBay. It purrs like a kitten, and is solid as a rock ... and was half the price. :mrgreen: I'm still learning how to use it, but in the meantime, I'm sewing on my good ol' Singer 9323 (I think) from the late 80's or early 90's. It's like the Energizer Bunny. It just keeps going and going and going. :thumbup:

For me, staying with older machines seems to be the secret. :) They just don't seem to make 'em like they used to.

I have a brother and love it! But I would second some of these ladies suggestions and check into reconditioned machines. After I bought mine, I found for a few dollars more I could have bought a refurbished Janome.

Not sure if anyone has said this yet but I just went to Overstock.com and they had all kinds of better machines for less than $150

I have that Brother machine and love it. It does everythin I need for it to do. Both my husband and myself made our first quilts on that machine I just can't say enough good about it. I've learned free motion quilting and thread painting on that machine. It has many decorative stitches. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Have to disagree about the Ebay comment. I have three machines from Ebay with no problems. Have also use Sew its For Sale group on Yahoo to buy and sell with no problems. Shop around. I would never recommend Brother or Singer, but I like high end machines. Viking being my favorite.

The brothers machines are great.... This machine is a great choice of you don't want to spend much...I have a similar that runs perfect....
    They are not too good for free motion quilting but will work great with all the decorative stitches and zig zags...and of course the straight stitch......
    I wouldn't recomend you to buy from Sears....Once my kenmore died ...They never respond and it seams that they don't have parts ...
    So for me ...no Kenmore and nothing from Sears.......
    Good luck

I bought a used Brother off Ebay two years ago - have had no problems with it. Have used quilting cotton, thick denim, and thin bridal tulle and it handles everything just fine. I love it!

Banned
    You're right, it's stitchlab.biz. Cute store.

Dana

The only problem I see with buying from Wal-Mart or other places in that line, is the operating and the learning of this and that. These women are only there to actually cut fabric and keep track of inventory. (If you have a [problem or a breakage something after the fact), you are going to have find a dealer who will fix it. Wal-mart does not have the where withall to show you how to use it and I beleive they send under under warrenty machines to the factory to resolve.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast