Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone get this line and feel like you've been slapped? >

anyone get this line and feel like you've been slapped?

anyone get this line and feel like you've been slapped?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 AM

I am so grateful I don't have to work and I have the time and energy to make quilts. At one time, I felt I had to go to work to help support my family and it was hard. I didn't have time to or energy to knit or crochet like I did when I stayed at home. But now I get to stay at home and take care of my house and quilt and sew and just have a nice restful life. You are the lucky one as I feel I am too.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
? Many, many people are not working for more possessions or because they're materialistic, but to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. The feeling of being trapped and no end in sight can feel very, very hard - I often had to pull myself up from envy of those who didn't do paid work, for whatever reason. The truth is, I think, that the grass is often greener - we're not seeing the whole picture when we look at other people's lives and think how good they look, and have no insight into all the problems that they may be struggling with.
This is true. I would not look at another person telling me that they don't have time as a slap in my face.

Learning to say "no" is one of the best skills a person can learn in life. I actually might be jealous that they have learned to say "no" when asked to do something that they either don't want to do or are unwilling to do for various reasons (most of which we aren't privy to).

They might be jealous that they don't have the time, or they may struggle with it and wish that they could stay home and sew.

But the truth is, not everyone can juggle all the balls all the time. Some fall by the wayside at times. Not everyone feels compelled to give to charity or to make quilts for unknown persons. Some would rather focus a bit closer to home. And face it, not all can even handle the mess of sewing, much less trying to juggle time restraints. Some can probably only sew if they have huge time slots.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM

I like, & often use the same phrase listed already - "don't let the person live rent free in your brain" - you're the only one concerned, or they wouldn't have made the thoughtless comment - they don't deserve your angst.
I, too, have had to quit working - for health reasons that made it impossible to continue caring for laboring women & babies - but my time is just as valuable (& so is yours) as anyone working for a paycheck.
I used to hear, "You have more time than I; my kids are little. Your kids are in high school". Heck, I was busier with teens than I ever was nursing a baby & changing diapers! lol
And now that I'm retired, I'm still busy every day, even if the thing I want to do today is nap or sew or listen to music - its MY time to use as I choose. I help where I can, but have learned to say "No" in order not to overcommit to too many worthy causes.
You are always important to God; do what you are able & look around at our great world to find something to smile about, & forget the rest.
I'll say a prayer for you.
Jan
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I understand How you feel I am unable to work because of a back injury I look at quilting as my job my chance to give back and feel like I am part of society again your job is to quilt you get paid in gratitude which is worth so much more.and look at it this way you get to do what you love to do how many people can say that?!
I feel you, the same goes for me..

just trying to find something I can do to keep my time Occupied, so I don't go stir crazy..

I've worked most of my life since I was 16 years old, except the first few years my boys were born and now there gone and I don't know what to do with myself since I can't work any more...

I can't sit long periods of time, stand or lay...
And right now getting injection in my back for pain...
I hear you, I too have back problems and there are days that I can't even make quilts, I "worked" in a factory for over 40 years. Now I spend time going to pain management for injections too. I have a little knowledge of what you are going through. I always thought that those that stayed home were doing more work then I could think about.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM

Tim
Originally Posted by chairjogger
So, I make comfort quilts for children's hospital. Got hit by the "Oh I don't have time, I work." comment..
My face still stings after that. Felt like I was slapped.

If I could work, I would !! Was really nice and told this woman, "OK, but I do have time. "

hmmm.. in the dumps today.
Time???? I have two babes 11 months apart. I stay at home with them, but would LOVE for her to come and be me for a day!!!!! Oh, I am a RN, returning to work would be sewwwww much easier! Let it Be Dear Lord, Let It BE!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 AM

So, I make comfort quilts for children's hospital. Got hit by the "Oh I don't have time, I work." comment..

If I could work, I would !! Was really nice and told this woman, "OK, but I do have time. "

I am a full-time mother of two beautiful children that are 11 months apart....and I am also a full-time preacher's wife... I challenge anyone to be me for a day, and you should too. My motto is do not voice an opinion unless you have walked a mile in those shoes.....
Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter

I am a full-time mother of two beautiful children that are 11 months apart....and I am also a full-time preacher's wife... I challenge anyone to be me for a day, and you should too. My motto is do not voice an opinion unless you have walked a mile in those shoes.....
Amen! People have different lives, to assume things only causes undue stress in lives. Could it be that the woman was embarrassed that she could not sew? All we see is what was said, we don't get to hear the voice behind the words.
Everyone has different likes and dislikes in life, not everyone likes quilting - they DON'T have to! Patience and understanding that just because you love xyz doesn't mean everyone else in the world will.
What was this woman doing when you told her you made quilts? Was she busy? She may have been under a time limit to get a certain chore done. Chances are she didn't mean it to be a nasty remark, but was being honest.

FREE Quilting Newsletter