Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46
Results 1,126 to 1,136 of 1136

Thread: Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I do needle turn and machine. I started a Christmas quilt 20 yrs ago all needle turn. then did a few blocks more about 2 yrs ago on the machine. don't know if I should mix this. what do you all think of that. I usually do all hand or all machine. I love some of the block, and they intricate, the hand ones.
    so what do you all think about mixing the two.
    It is your quilt do as you want. Your needleturn skills have probably improved too over 20 years!
    I needleturn too, but recently made a machine applique pillow.

I fell in love with the Dear William BOM quilt and purchased the kit. It's very detailed and has many small, intricate pieces. I can't decide if I should do it by hand or machine. I'm worried that the pieces are so tiny that turning under will be a problem; I just can't imagine doing this pattern with raw edges though. Does anybody have advice or experience with this type of project? Thank you!!

The Dear William quilt pattern is designed by Michele Hill of Australia. She machine appliqués all her quilts and the patterns are designed for machine applique. I have made four quilts from Michele Hill's patterns. I hand appliqued the first one, William Morris and Friends. It took me a year to complete the applique, so I machine appliqued the next three. I would not recommend hand appliquing Dear William. For raw edge appliqué, I used Mettler silk finish thread and matched the color of the applique piece. I also used blanket stitch, very close together--not as close as satin stitch, but quite close. It blends well with a nice look. This is the way Michele does her machine applique. I have three of her books and have studied her technique. If machine applique for these patterns is good enough for the designer, it is good enough for me.
    Last edited by Genden; 01-03-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    I also love applique and all kinds I took a 2 day work shop from Harriet Hargrave a lot of years ago and loved her method also did one from Eleanor Burns from her book quilt in a day different method but fun and another I have done is to cut my pieces a little larger and stitch on the traced line and they turn very easy using the stitch line for turning raw edge certainly has its place but I to like to carry hand work and I am thinking of stating a hand applique one right now I am hooked on those row quilts and I am doing them using heat and bond light using my applique blanket stitch for my quilting You might also try an applique sampler I took a class on tha many years ago and can't remember the name of the book but it was hearts and each heart was done using a different method then you can fond out which one you really prefer just dive in and have fun I have always like sun bonnet sue and there are many of her patterns for free.

Blog Entries
    Due to arthritis causing problems when I try needle turn applique, I came up with an alternative method that works just fine for me. Here is the tutorial I did to show How I make it work. I will also post the first project that I used t on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t240526.html

This is the link to my first applique project. I was really surprised how well my new method worked. Just remember, no steam in the iron.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t240237.html
    Last edited by madamekelly; 09-13-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I am so glad to find this chat. I love needle turn applique and currently I am working on another quilt that has pieced center and only the borders are appliqued. It will be a while till I am done with it.

I am just learning to do applique, but I have to do it by machine. My hand won't let me do it by hand anymore. I made
    a baby quilt for my grand baby. I love to applique. I find it so relaxing. Any tips you have I sure could use
    Hello my name is Delilah.
    I like to quilt, Sew, garden and cook.
    I use a vintage Kenmore 15813450 8 stitch sewing machine.
    I call her "Little Girl".

Looking for some information on Baltimore quilts and applique found an applique thread that referred to this thread. Is anyone starting or recently started hand applique Baltimore quilt wall hanging?

My peach so far Name:  002.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  736.9 KB

Hi Nerys, at the moment my "forever" project is an applique basket quilt designed by Pearl Pereira. It's not a Baltimore album but it is still challenging. Pearl has designed some Baltimore style quilts that are gorgeous and very challenging. I do love to applique.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Hi Sync, thanks. I looked up Pearl Pereira and see her site www.p3designs.com and all the lovely quilts very nice and much inspiration.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46