Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Sue, it was me and as I stated earlier I find what you say to be very helpful. Having said that I will re-think my choice of fabric. I am already frustrated with what I am working on now. I do not need to add more otherwise I may not finish it. And I do not want that.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM

I got two patterns from "one peice at a time" the center blocks for this years BOM and for next year. I am hopping up and down in my chair. This is my goal for me this year. ( Finish everthing that I have started)
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM

How many of you had rather design your own applique than make someone else's applique design?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM

I would much rather design my own - but I just learned how to do applique, so I've pretty much stuck with more experienced quilter's/designer's patterns.

I'm also just learning how to use the applique drawing tools in EQ7 - I'm hoping to get a lot of my own designs drawn by this time next year. I would like to convert some of my paintings into applique.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM

When you get your paintings converted into applique patterns will they be made into a bed quilt or a wall hanging?
Will you have blocks or will it be an art quilt?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM

The paintings, I'd like to make into big wall quilts.

But, I'd like to do some designs like Sindy Rodenmayer's Fiesta, too.

And wouldn't it be cool to make a "my life" Baltimore Album style quilt? One block for God, one for each of my children, one for my dear husband, one for painting, one for gardening, one for sewing, one for music, one for books, one for the Navy.... too many ideas... it'd have to be a BIGGGGGG quilt! LOL!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM

I would much rather create my own pattern. In fact I always have right from the begining. It is way too expensive to purchase and It really is very easy to make your own even if you cant draw. Coloring books are great, the internet just copy to a word document and blow up to any size you want and then use tracing paper to trace each section separetly and then put on a cardboard templete or the hard plastic 3 ring binder inserts. vola........ That's how I do it anyway plus I free hand draw alot of my patterns.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM

That's my goal every year! lol lol Never seems to work for me though........ try as I might.
Originally Posted by wanabquilter View Post
I got two patterns from "one peice at a time" the center blocks for this years BOM and for next year. I am hopping up and down in my chair. This is my goal for me this year. ( Finish everthing that I have started)
Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Tanyat, I like both. I usually take a pattern and tweet and tweet the design, still agiving credit to original designers blocks/pattern. I am really bummed right now due to moving and packing and unable to due any applique work. Good grief let me get into this house and start back on my quilts.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Suz

Gals/Guys, Let's make skinny stems. I find this method easy and one taught by Karen Kay Buckley. Raid the husband's tool area and find some of the "zip strips" (don't know the real name); taking one or two of each size. They are white or clear and are used to bundle things together. They come in a variety of widths. To use, the pointed end is slipped through a slot on the opposite end and then cinched up. You will need to cut off the bulky end. -- Have your iron ready and spray starch or sizing

Measure the width of the strip x2 and then add 1". Example: 1/4" strip = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1 = 1-1/2". Using this measurement, cut your bias strip 1-1/2". (This extra inch will assure the feed dogs grab the fabric.) If you need a yard or so, stitch your strips together and press seams open or make several smaller ones. Put your zipper foot onto the sewing machine, reduce your stitch length (12 or stitches/inch). With the pointed end of the zip strip toward yourself, stitch closely (using needle position if necessary) along the strip, thus enclosing the zip strip. For longer lengths, just push the strip along and continue stitching to the end of your bias strip. DO NOT REMOVE THE ZIP STRIP.

Trim very closely to your stitches. With the zip strip inside, wiggle the seam to the center back of the strip. Once in place, spray and then press the seam flat (beauty is not necessary), making sure it cannot be seen from the right side. Do one section at a time, pushing the strip along the bias until your stem is completed. -- When the strip is pressed, turn over and LIGHTLY press from the top side. It has to be dry before using. Just do not crush it.

The stem is now ready for stitching to the background of your project. Stitch an outside curve first, if necessary. You may leave the ends open and then insert a yarn to give the stem 3-dimensional look.

Remember also, ALL APPLIQUE IS PRESSED FACE DOWN ONTO A TOWEL - NEVER FROM THE TOP SIDE. Obviously, remove your markings before pressing.

Let me hear from you once you have tried this method. Good luck!