Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Gorgeous blocks! Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing.
FWDesigns, I love your furry black cat. What's his name?

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I just uploaded pictures of the blocks I finished most recently, along with a possible layout for the blocks.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums12604.html

The original quilt used slightly brighter, more "Christmas-y" colors - the BOM to which I'm subscribed uses more subdued colors, but I like it. I will use the ivory background fabric to brighten it up. I am thinking I will put trapunto into the alternate blocks.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Bev,
Love the Cinderella quilt. What a lucky granddaughter!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Suz

I haven't tried the back basting method but do understand the concept. My question is about doing small circles - those that are about 1/4" in diameter. Is back basting possible?

I am hand appliquing an Edyta Sitar project using needle turn but plan to back baste the next block. She uses a lot of tiny circles. -- I'll await answers from the experienced.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 AM

I have only done the back basting on one project, so I'm no expert.

But I would guess that you'd get smoother circles if you use the "yo-yo" sewing and starch method to prepare the circles. Those are some TINY circles. I think about 5/8" or 3/4" would be the smallest I would try with the back basting. Maybe not even those, as nice as you can get the circles when you use the yo-yo and starch preparation. I like a challenge, but mercy! Those are teeny!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
He cleodaisy. Welcome. I'm about to try back basting so I may be asking you some advice. I am trying all the various methods to see which one I like. I think I'll probably end up with a combination of what I like from each method.
cactusmomma - Go ahead and ask. To start you out, try this site http://www.appleblossomquilts.com/tips/ Connie Sue is a true expert.
cleodaisy
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 AM

i received two really nice applique books from my best friend for Christmas........I have search the LQS and I still can not decided what fusible web to buy. Most of the patterns recommend Paper fusible back web......So far I have not found this. Could there be another name for this?? What would you recommend I buy. I will be machine appliquing.
Maybe hand appliquing someetime once I feel comfortable with the machine.
Suggestions would be so much appreciated.
Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I haven't tried the back basting method but do understand the concept. My question is about doing small circles - those that are about 1/4" in diameter. Is back basting possible?

I am hand appliquing an Edyta Sitar project using needle turn but plan to back baste the next block. She uses a lot of tiny circles. -- I'll await answers from the experienced.
Suz - For lots of my circles I use paper punches with card stock. I am the odd-ball that doesn't starch and iron them. I could burn my fingers. My circles get stitched around. Next pull the stitches and squeeze the edges instead of ironing. They are stored in a plastic bag under a book to keep them from popping back up. No washing out of starch either!! Am I lazy or what?
cleodaisy
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM

I might try that! Do you take the card stock circles out and then pull the stitches tight again? Or do you leave the card stock in until you're ready to sew the circles onto the quilt?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post

Suz---which Edyta Sitar project are you working on? I'm currently doing her Applique Affair pattern. I posted pictures on page 93 of this thread.

Last edited by sue z q; 12-28-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: correct page number
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Two years ago a family member got married. I knew I wouldn't get it done. In the card I wrote to them that I will have their quilt done by their 50th wedding anniversary. So I still hae 48 years to go.