Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 PM

I am new to all of this, but learned to do the raw-edge machine applique in a class I took at JoAnn Fabrics. I really liked that, but don't know if you would consider that real applique. I am also working on a Hawaiian block and have been struggling with, trying to teach myself the needle turn method. So far, I think I prefer the machine method because it is much faster. So, if that would qualify, I'd be interested.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Default Making smooth circles

Originally Posted by Justlucy View Post
I have been working on some snowpeople but I cannot stitch around the O's they use for eyes, andmouth pieces. I did mine on the sewing machine. If anyone has any suggestions would help. Do I need to sew these by hand? Also the girl ones have hearts for buttons, the boys have just more round circles. I am just using a Brother sewing machine, no special stitches only zigzag. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Just Lucy, I have been using this method for a long time, always get a smooth edged circle.

Purchase a pack of circle reinforcements ( the kind used on looseleaf paper to protect the page, you can find them at walmart in their stationery dept)

trace the circle on the wrong side of the fabric, cut out leaving a scant 1/8th seam allowance.

Now place the circle, sticky side up on the back of the fabric, hold in place with your left thumb and trim into the circle within a thread or 2 of the edge of the paper. Now finger press the seam allowance up onto the sticky side around the circle and applique in place with whatever method you like.

To remove the paper circle, with pull it out just before you finish sewing around the circle, or cut a small hole in the back of the fabric, being careful and pull it out. To be truthful, I leave it in, have not had a problem doing that.
Attached Thumbnails 100_0309.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM

This is a great thread, I recently got a Mckenna Ryan pattern set at a very good price. All for the patterns in the quilt for about 70% off the normal price. I have looked them over and must say I am quite overwhelmed , I will be watching this thread for lots of ideas!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM

I enjoy appliquing by hand. I just learned how to do the blanket stitch by hand.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 AM

Hi Drue,
I really love you woodland quilt. Where did you find the pattern for that quilt.

Donna C.
dconroy84
Old 12-01-2011, 04:16 AM

I stitch all my pieces by machine but have many decorative stitches on it. If I'm in a hurry Iuse the blanket stitch even on the circles and small piecies. I adjust the width and length depending on how small the piece is.
First do you have a knob or button to release pressure on your foot...This willmake it easier for you to turn around the circle without constantly lifting your foot. If you only have a zig zag stitch make it tiny...and you'll be fine. You should also use light tear away stablizer on the back of the fabric to avoid puckers
Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 AM

I am a newbie in sewing with a new machine and applique is on my list for next project so am looking forward to learn on your new topic.

Originally Posted by craftybear View Post

I am learning to applique and thought this would be fun for all of us to chit chat here about applique. This way we can all learn together!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Hi,
I love your cat quilt. Would you or could you share your pattern or where you got the pattern for this quilt.

Thanks,
Donna C.
dconroy84
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by dconroy84 View Post
Hi,
I love your cat quilt. Would you or could you share your pattern or where you got the pattern for this quilt.

Thanks,
Donna C.
dconroy84
If your talking abt mine...It's my own pattern. My husband I and drew out all the pieces...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks so much. I love your Appliques too!! I have an album with some of the machine applique I have done with my own patterns that I made up if you want to take a look. I would really love to try and do hand applique, I think it would be very relaxing for me to do at night in the winter while my husband forces me to watch HIS TV programs!! lol