Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Hi everyone - Just thought I would drop in say Hi and introduce myself to this thread - I have been appliqueing for a long time - started out by doing satin stitch on the machine to recently (like within the last couple of years) to doing needle turn applique. I am currently working on a big Koi Pond project for a friend. I even spent four hours recently just putting the markings on one little fish. I don't know if anyone is sharing their work on this thread because I have not went back and read through 77 pages worth of posts but if I can figure out how to get some pictures on here, I thought I would share a couple of those fish with you.

I would love to see pictures of other works of applique that any of you have done.

ETA: Ok figured out how to add pics - yeah!

As you can see - the marking have been needle turned appliqued, and the fish will be needle turned appliqued onto the quilt when I get to that point. Out of 15 fish this is just a few of them that I have ready for fins to be added. I still have 2 more fish that I am currently adding marking to. I like doing applique as much as I like doing hand quilting. I can take it anywhere and I am not stuck sitting in front of the machine when I want to be near my family or watching (listening(lol)) to my favorite tv show.

Last edited by fatsewcat; 10-05-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 PM

I'm taking a class next week. Have done it before but want to know if I did it correctly. Should be fun.

Voni
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
My mind is coming up with an applique method I saw somewhere and I want to try it - it was called "reverse applique" that came across sounding as almost like a paper piece-type of idea - - meaning, you had your design on a paper or backing, lay a piece of fabric down like you do in paper piecing, stitch it, then trim around the stitch line and then go add your next piece. It was like 3-D applique (usual) only done upside down - has anyone done it - thoughts? I have it on my "to do" list to try it - - it just hasn't moved to my "to done" list yet. :-)

Marysewfun
Have done reverse applique many times. it can also be padded by adding a piece of wadding between the fabric and your traced design.
One thing to remember when doing reverse applique is to get the piecing order correct. It is a good idea to number each piece in the order in which they are applied. As the name implies reverse applique is stitch from the back ( reverse side). Starting with number 1 applying the fabric to the right side, stitch on the reverse side, sew around the traced outline in a very narrow zog zag stitch. When you have stitched the whole outline, turn over to the right side and carefully trim away the excess fabric to the stitched line. When all pieces have been applied in this manner, stitch around all shapes with an applique satin stitch, starting from number 1 and applique each piece in order.

Hope you can follow these steps.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 AM

Satin stitch machine applique is done using a close zig-zag (satin) stitch. Preparing your fabric and adjusting your machine properly will make this technique enjoyable.

Practically any design can be used for machine applique, however, using designs with easy outlines are best. Designs with too many "tight corners" are difficult to follow neatly.

Special Supplies: An open toe applique foot, allows you to see the stitching and the hollow tunnel on the bottom allows the ridge firmed by the satin stitch to pass through easily. Interfacing, iron on and non iron on, and fusible webbing. Water erasable marking pen.

Fabric: Preshrink all fabrics. Some fabrics are not suitab le for for some methods of applique. Organza and larme are low heat and do not respond well to iron on interfacing.

Machine adjustments: use a scrap of fabric to check adjustments and stitch. Bobbin thread should be a different colour to to the top thread. this allow you to see if tension is correct and elimates having to change the bobbin with each top thread change.
Loosen top tension slightly, so the top thread interlocks with the b obbin thread on the underside. You will see a small amount of the top thread colour on each edge of the underside of the satin stitch, thus the need for two different thread colours. Set the desired stitch width and set satin stitch length for a close together zigzag ( satin) stitch.

Stitching: Position the pressure foot so that the zigzag hits just off the edge of the applique fabric. Backstitch the first three or four stitches to secure the thread.

Stitching Techniques: To pivot, leave the needle in the fabric, lift foot and reposition fabric as neccessary, pivoting whilst the needle is on the wrong side of the fabric will leave gaps. If not pivoting is done there will be slanted stitches. i.e. Outer curves: pivot on the right hand side of the stitch. Inner curves: pivot on the left hand side of the stitch. Outside corner: stitch until the needle is off point on the corner, pivot, continue stitching along next raw edge. Inside corner: stitch past the corner, pivot , continue stitching along raw edge. Tapering (for points): As you near the point, decrease width of the stitch to 0 (straight) width, slightly beyound end of applique fabric, pivot, and increase the width
until it is back to the original width.

I hope the above informaton will be of help when beginning applique.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 AM

I just saw this hoop. Does anyone have it? looks really handy. I like how it turns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyuPE...ayer_embedded#!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 AM

Default I love applique

Originally Posted by craftybear View Post

I am learning to applique and thought this would be fun for all of us to chit chat here about applique. This way we can all learn together!
It is one of my favorite things to do,I applique landscapes and quilts
I would like to join
GingerJ
quote :Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do ,do it with thy might. Ecc 9:10
Old 11-15-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire View Post
Most of my applique is dogs. I have done some flowers, as in 'Happy Daisies'. I will have to look and see what I might have left. I give most of my stuff away.

Here are the dogs.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50844-1.htm
Kathy, Airedales hold a special spot in my heart! Yours are beautiful. Your quilts are adorable! I am going to hunt for the stairway pattern - never saw it before. I love to applique too but only by machine.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 AM

I love to annoy the quilt police. Just as some don't think a quilt is a quilt unless hand quilted these same people will think the same of applique or embroidery. Seriously these type folks need to get into the 21st century and get themselves out of the 19th/20th century.

That's what sewing machines are for to not just sew but to quilt, applique, and embroider.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Default I love applique:)

My happy place! I haven't been on this board for months, I've missed all of you. I'm so glad I found this post, and can't wait to watch the videos posted here. I am still pretty new at applique. I have done some needle turn, some machine applique and machine raw edge applique. I started doing the Penny Haren Intricate Blocks Made Easy with a group on this board last winter. I fell way behind, but I'm back into it now and I think this technique produces the nicest result I've managed for hand applique. I'd like to try a bit more machine applique but I'm having a war with my machine. I may have to replace it if I don't win the war. Have a great day all
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 AM

Default Applique Club

I have been working on some snowpeople but I cannot stitch around the O's they use for eyes, andmouth pieces. I did mine on the sewing machine. If anyone has any suggestions would help. Do I need to sew these by hand? Also the girl ones have hearts for buttons, the boys have just more round circles. I am just using a Brother sewing machine, no special stitches only zigzag. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks