Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM

I like applique because it gives you enormous possibilities for the designs you can use on your quilt. Plus, it is also relaxing to me. Sitting at a machine hurts my back something fierce. I have tried sitting up higher or sitting lower. It doesn't seem to matter how I arrange it, my back hurts after a very short time. So I just lazily hand sew. Knitting and crocheting are all done by hand and I have been doing them for over 30 years, so it doesn't mean much to me to spend more time handsewing than machine sewing.

This is my latest effort in hand applique. I didn't get the color of the sails right, so they don't show up as well as they might.
Attached Thumbnails blue-sails-sun.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM

I just posted in the main section and then saw this thread. I have a few applique questions. This is my first project and I am not sure if I applique through the batting and backing or just batting...or just the top. Also do I applique and then sandwich and quilt? I also need to do some eyes on my little penguins and am not sure the best way to do those either. Any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:45 PM

I applique just through the top--put blocks together--sandwhich as usual and quilt. You can use ink, thread, or beads to do eyes. Do any beading after you quilt, then you dont have to worry about hitting it with needle.
Have fun !!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 PM

I like the block wonderfull, the stiching on the sides is also great!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 PM

I love to applique. My favorite is needle turn but I don't seem to have the time anymore. I am retired and wondering how I ever had time to work. I will be looking forward to talking to you guys.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM

I love to machine satin stitch applique. It's so easy and fun.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 AM

I am learning applique too. I have recently taken a David Taylor hand applique workshop. It was eye opening. And his work, is Amazing.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear View Post

I am learning to applique and thought this would be fun for all of us to chit chat here about applique. This way we can all learn together!
I would like to also learn to do appliques. Where do I learn how to do appliques.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 AM

I love to applique, but can only do it by hand. I think machine applique is ugly. I made a sunbonnet sue crib quilt in a month because I could carry the bits & pieces & my needle, thread, etc., with me to dr. appts. I either get a lot done or attract lots of attention. One little boy was so entranced, his dad immediately took him to the store to get his own supplies.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 AM

Well, don't think that retiring will give you an extra moment- if anything, you have less! make a ditty bag & take your applique project wherever you go. be sure to press & clip your edges before you go. Recyclable shopping bags make great ditty bags. Just expect to get lots of attention wherever you go & have fun!